Sunday, January 9, 2011

Works in progress ...




One of the things I have to do every year for the holiday open studio event is clear off the little-used slab roller. It becomes the bagel-coffee-cream cheese-eggnog table. So once I cleared it a few weeks ago, I took advantage of the situation and began rolling out slabs, making roughly round and footed serving dishes, flat square plates, handled serving platters, and rolling slabs into slender and multiply-stamped vertical vases.
I'm waiting on one more bisque firing before these pots go into the gas kiln, but I thought I'd share them in their current form, given that I hadn't posted since New Year's. I'll get back on the wheel probably this coming week. More mugs. Always more mugs ...
I'm also putting together what amounts to a grant proposal, so I'm shooting pots for that. The image here of the finished teabowls is for that project.
Later, all ...



11 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

I just bought a Bailey slab roller for the school...thinking of flat birds...?!

Hollis Engley said...

Sounds like the birds have yet to release their talons from you, Daniel. I just got new nitride-bonded sil-carb shelves from Bailey. We'll see how they work out.

Tracey Broome said...

You go with that slabbing! I just put some ^10 clay pendants in a bisque, thinking I might send them your way for a little shino action.

Hollis Engley said...

Do that, Tracey. Most likely it will be a week before I fire, so there's time for them to get here.

ang design said...

oooh lovely tea bowls....nothing quite like a bit of slab rolling action:))

FetishGhost said...

Mmmmmmmm... the tea bowls are so nice Hollis.

cookingwithgas said...

Love your teabowls the longer I - we have ours the more I love them.
Iron black still steals my heart even tho I love your shinos.
I like that long tray as well- great piece for serving up or filling with cookies!

Unknown said...

Looks like a good time in your studio! Love, love, love the tea bowls!! Will be interested to hear what you think of the new shelves from Bailey...
:)

Paul Jessop said...

Happy new year Hollis, The Tea Bowls look stunning. they must rank as some of the best I have ever seen. great to hear the slab roller gets at least some action each year.

Mr. Young said...

Excellent tea bowls! Wish I could pick them up and hold them, to enjoy the textures and weight.

yolande clark said...

ya...very beautiful bowls!