Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Slab trays today for April show




I've got a joint show coming up in late April at the Stove Factory Gallery in Charlestown. I'm sharing space with my friend Dara Pannebaker, who is a fine painter and one of the organizers of the Artists Group of Charlestown. I joined the AGC two years ago after selling at their September craft fair. A fine group of artists, not only talented but very nice folks. So ... though I live about 90 minutes away, I am, indeed, a Charlestown Artist.
I'm putting together work for the show, and expect to fire once or twice more between now and then. Last week's firing produced a very nice Shino- and ash-glazed slab tray (pictured at top), so I thought I'd make a few more and see how they do. I rolled them out yesterday, handled them and slashed and pressed some decorations. Now they're drying. On to other things while they dry.

5 comments:

ang design said...

oh yeh gorgeous...happy firing on those Hollis

Unknown said...

Definitely make more! It is a beautiful tray :)

cindy shake said...

Love the organic feel of those trays! The seashell stamps are wonderful and fit perfectly with that glaze -which seems to almost have a sea foam quality to it!

Michèle Hastings said...

beautiful! i am fascinated with trays lately - can't wait to see them finished.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, all. Yes, Michele, me too. They're fairly heavy slabs, so they've been drying slowly for four or five days. Might get them into the bisque tomorrow. I'll fire the gas kiln next week.