Friday, June 17, 2011

Arts Alive 2011 all weekend ...






I've set up the bare bones of my tent and display space on the street in Falmouth for Arts Alive this weekend. I'll bring the pots tomorrow morning early and set things up. Rain is expected tonight, though tomorrow and Sunday are (allegedly) supposed to have pleasant June weather. We'll see.
Meanwhile, the firing Wednesday was only so-so. There were some good things in it, but too many ordinary and sub-ordinary things. Way too much crap to go directly to the hammer. Funny how the kiln results usually reflect the attitude of the potter (or at least this particular potter) when he made, glazed and fired the work. After this weekend at the show, I'm going to throw out all of my Shino glazes and a couple of others and start fresh. I've got enough bisque to fire again next week.
A trip yesterday to Boston with Falmouth potter Sue Wadoski helped add a bit of excitement to my pot-making life. Sue and I are taking a soda-firing course at the Harvard U. Ceramics Center with potter Crystal Ribich. Last night we all went over slips and glazes; over the next couple of weeks I'll make and slip pots for the firing and then we'll glaze in Boston and fire the Harvard soda kiln. All of this came as a coincidence with my recent thoughts - spurred in part by a conversation with Dan Finnegan - of building a small soda kiln with the brick I was given last month. So maybe there's light at the end of the tunnel. Or the end of the firebox ...
The photos: Smallish pitchers for this week's show; ash-glazed vase; part of a wedding gift order (I know, Finnegan, it's that copper red that you love ... ); and two very nice women who came to the studio today, left empty-handed and then returned to buy pots an hour later. I do love that.

6 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

I don't even have to respond anymore! You already know what I'd say....How great that your ladies came back, knowing that your work really got under their skin!

Dennis Allen said...

I do a bit of the copper red and black combo too.Nice when it works.I just had some pots soda fired in a very basic little kiln.I'll try to get pictures on the blog this weekend.Have a good show.

Hollis Engley said...

Sorry, Dan. Some day I'll get over the copper red ribbing ... or maybe just get over the copper red.
Still ... that combination of red and temmoku is dependable and pleasing to a lot of people. You shoulda seen the mugs ...
Dennis, do you have plans or a photo of that little kiln? I'm collecting them.

Mr. Young said...

I also like those colors Hollis! Great looking pots there. I would like to see pics and plans also, Dennis. I have permission to build a wood kiln on the high school campus next year, and haven't a clue on how to choose a size and style to build.

Anna M. Branner said...

Yes I must add my enthusiasm for the red and temmoku as well. :)

Dennis Allen said...

Click on the link to Whistlecreek on the right side of Hollis's blog for pictures of the kiln. It's a "what the hell, build something" design.Tropiclay, if I were building at a school( I am a retired teacher) I would do a Managama assuming you can get the refractories in Guam.Schools don't like seat of your pants designs and are scared to death of accidents. Also there was a small soft brick kiln in CLAY TIMES about 4 yr ago check it.