Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Dots and squiggles" and the last of the clay



I've just finished up the last usable clay in the studio and will probably drive up to Braintree Thursday to pick up a thousand pounds of stoneware. I'm determined to plug through the winter this year, turning out pots for spring and summer sales. I used up the last of the stoneware on these side-handle teapots and funny new bowl shapes. Then I dug out 50 pounds of red earthenware that's been here for years and I threw a bunch of bowls. Something about seeing the blogs of UK friends Doug Fitch, Paul Jessop and Hannah McAndrew and their marvelous slipware got me thinking about using up the earthenware. So I did.
Dan Finnegan used to say all he could do to decorate his pots was "dots and squiggles." That's more or less what I did with these bowls. If it's good enough for Finnegan ...

5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I really like that quick white swirrly in the bottom of the bowls and the others have that Jackson Pollet appeal.
Nice ease to the work.

doug Fitch said...

Fab slipware!

Hollis Engley said...

Well ... it's a start, isn't it? I should pick up more earthenware tomorrow, too.

Unknown said...

Hollis, My name is Marybeth Davis. Im a friend of Lorraine Colson's. Sorry to contact you this way but I did not have an email address for you. Lorraine is having a milestone birthday this April and Mark and I are hosting a surprise birthday dinner for her at our house in Vienna VA. It will be on 4 April starting around 630 or 7. I know she would love to see you there. Let me know if it is possible please. (mbad07@gmail.com)Marybeth

Unknown said...

Hollis,
Happy Birthday! They do come around fast nowadays....just had mine and remembered yours. Lovin' your pots -- they keep getting better! "Hi, Dee!"
Angie T.