Wednesday, April 8, 2009

One woman's idea for a new glaze


My friend Janet gave me a selection of crab shells picked up on a Falmouth beach the other day. She suggested that they might make a nice palette if I could duplicate the colors on my Shino-glazed pots. I'll have to investigate combinations of red Shino recipes, kiln reduction, carbon-trapping, varying clay bodies and all the rest of the variables that go into the surprises that come out of using Shinos, but if we could come close to this range of colors, it would be lovely. Meanwhile, the shells themselves are wonderful.

8 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

I believe that I would prefer a glaze that looked like Janet's brownies rather than the copper red crabs!

Tracey Broome said...

I love those shino glazes. Maybe you could do a crab crawl shino:) great looking pots in that firing!

Amy said...

what a beautiful picture! such vivid, bright colors. shinos are my favorite glaze.

Hollis Engley said...

Finnegan, you are fixated on baked goods. Of course, you've had Janet's brownies, hence the enthusiasm.
And I like Crab Crawl Shino for a name, Tracey. Now to find a recipe that merits it.
Those are stunning colors, aren't they, Amy?

Paul Jessop said...

Nice Idea and worth investigating does that mean you have to turn the pots on their sides as well?
be careful with the marketing as well you could find yourself in trouble.

Hollis Engley said...

I'll have to think about that one, Paul. And would the pots have to move sideways, like crabs?

Anonymous said...

it looks like you've already got the color of the second crab from the right

Hollis Engley said...

I think you're right, Jim. The trick will be to get all the colors together in one firing. Or on one pot.