Friday, July 9, 2010

A podcast from Japan, and apologies to Meredith ...



OK, first off ... I apologize to Meredith Heywood for simply blanking on her name in the middle of an interview I did yesterday with David Morrison Pike, an American ex-pat who works as a potter in Nara, Japan. I have this brain-cramp thing that happens sometimes and it happened yesterday when Dave and I were talking about pottery blogging. I believe I call her in the podcast "a woman in North Carolina," which is true as far as it goes, but ... I mean ... come on ... I KNOW this woman. And did I think to mention the October show of blogging potters? Nooooooo ... jeez.
So, OK, aside from those two things, this might be an interesting thing to listen to if you're curious about how another potter does his work or prices his work or sells his work or got his influences or the sound of my voice or ... anything else I could say in 40 minutes.
Dave's a good guy and makes good wood-fired pots and certainly is in an interesting place to be a potter. And he likes to talk to other potters and find out what makes them do what they do.
You can find the podcast here ... http://togeii.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/podcast-with-hollis-engley-hatchville-pottery/
And I'll put a couple of Dave's pots up top so you can see a bit of what he does.
And again, sorry, Meredith ...

8 comments:

klineola said...

Those are some sweet"trays" Wow!

Here's the clickable link to the interview.

Hollis Engley said...

thanks, Michael ... gotta figure out how to put thos working hyperlinks in the blog.

ang design said...

ooh good one hollis, you'll have to start writing those note thingies to self hehehehe... cheers man, gorgeous pots though...

here ya go..go to the page you want to link, copy the address, then
highlight the name in your post, click the chain link button and paste the link address in the pop up window all done!! cheers ang x

cookingwithgas said...

What! You don't have my name on the tip of your tongue?
HA- no problem I am a women in NC- and you know when you are talking the mind forgets things.
But I now expect you to write my name on the back of your hand.
But gee- then you have to remember to look at it!
I will listen to this when we get back!
Cheers- and I ate my way through Maine---yum!

Hollis Engley said...

I'll write that down, Ang. If I can remember it ...
Thanks, Meredith. I've got a felt tip pen around here somewhere ...

Dan Finnegan said...

Ever since Palin got caught writing on her hand I've been doing the same. It works! Thanks Sarah!

Tracey Broome said...

Love those plates/trays whatever they are, I may have to make some with a little terra sig finish!

Hollis Engley said...

So, Dan, you going to write your entire workshop banter on the back of your hand?