Monday, November 22, 2010

A firing follow-up ...



I thought I'd post a couple of pots from last week's firing that didn't make it into the Friday post. One is a layered Shino plate which I think worked really well. Plus, a couple of little Shino cups.
Also, in the "oops" department, I speculated last week that the Shaner Oribe recipe that I tested in this firing might need more copper carb to exhibit the green one expects of an Oribe glaze. Well ... yeah. In fact, in checking my notes from mixing up the glaze, I find that I put the smallest possible amount of copper carb into the mix. As in, none at all. But what it produced was a lovely snowy and fat white glaze that I think will work nicely on some pots. And I'll remember to add the copper carb the next time I fire.

9 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

yummy fat glaze there!
Something in the post from you today and I have not opened it yet!
I need to go see what you sent!

Hollis Engley said...

Let me know how it works for you, Meredith.

John said...

The two little cups are beauties! Especially the top one - love the combination of textures and color of the glazes...

ang design said...

ooooh ahhhh lovely stuff....heheheh glad you take such notes about your glazes.... i was scribbling on my table top last night while mixing a glaze... not sure how long those notes will remain for next time i mix up a batch :P

Hollis Engley said...

I got lucky on this one, Ang. I do write down amounts and check them off as i add them. But I couldn't remember adding copper to the mix, then when I checked the book it was clear I hadn't.

ladyofclay said...

nice work Hollis - such surfaces !
I've been trying to improve my note taking - hasn't improved to the point where I can figure out some of the reasons for successes or failures tho ; (
argggh

Hollis Engley said...

Well, that one was easy. Most them are much more difficult.

imagine said...

They just get better and better.
I think that one day you might make it as a potter.

Your mugs are adorable, the very thought of going
in a cafe that served up drinks in pieces like these is
incredible.
It has had me looking into our regulations to see if we can serve coffee [even free] as the thoughts of having people in here enjoying drinking from pots like those
would be lovely.
If we can do it, then there will be an order in the post.

Hollis Engley said...

Any time, John. And thanks.