Monday, December 20, 2010

And then winter came ...



A couple of hours after we'd closed the doors on the annual Holiday Open Studio, I looked outside and saw snow beginning to pile up on the deck. Just in time.
Our power disappeared for a couple of hours in the night and we overslept a bit, but that just delayed an easy Monday morning sitdown at the local coffee shop. Our friend Bruce was sitting by himself there, and we joined him, then Janet showed up and we spent some time over coffee with them. This is one of the good things about living in this small town, we generally know where we can find friends.
The snow continues into the afternoon, though predictions were for two inches in the morning. I think we're up to four or five inches by this time, with snow still coming down. I'm doing computer chores like printing address labels and putting together music mixes for Dee's brother Jim in Maine to play on his new CD-player. Jim's undergoing medical treatment for the next month or so and loves music, but lives a bit off the grid, so these portable music-players are kind of new to him.
I'm thinking about the next pots and the next firing, though I probably won't make any for a week or so. I've got some rough sculptural stoneware that made nice slab vases in the weekend firing, so I may make more of that kind of thing. There are always new ideas ...
Thanks to all who made the weekend a success socially and financially. A lot of planning goes into it, some of which I don't do all that well, but it's always worth it in the end. And I don't mean just income. Mostly, what's good about it is the friends and the community.
Happy holidays, all.
---
Photos: The backyard gallery shed at noon today; the front door of the studio.

7 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

what a stroke of good luck you had there and how magic and fitting to now have snow.
Merry Christmas Hollis and Dee....

Hollis Engley said...

To you and Mark, too, Meredith.

imagine said...

I really wished that I could have been there for your event. It seems that you have really judged things well
[mixture etc] plus your own work lookked so rich and beautiful.

As for the snow?
How do you manage to make it look so nostalgic and romantic?

We will have to do something together one Christmas
[or any time].

In case I don't speak again [it is hard getting to the gallery with the snow and I never look at a computer at home] before Christmas, have a good one, and thanks for all the pleasure your post's have given me over the past year.
All the best.

Hollis Engley said...

Sure, John, any time. And thanks for the nice words. As to the snow, if I don't have to go out and drive in it or shovel it, it's easy to romanticize. Wouldn't have been so much fun hoping people could get here through it if it had come over the weekend.

Tracey Broome said...

OK, I have studio envy big time! What a great shot of your place with the snow. The storm must have moved up that way really fast, we started having snow around 2pm during our sale but it didn't stick and it stopped by dark. Looks like you got a bit more than we did. What a December it's been!

Hollis Engley said...

I was in the studio glazing last week when it was 52 degrees inside. Waaaayyy too cold. Gotta do some insulating and replace my front door and two windows. And maybe think about checking that radiator ...

Diana Alva said...

I love your blog, your work is how I wish mine was...so I continue to work at mine....I admire your forms and colors, esquitsite !!!. Thank you