Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Some different pots from the holiday firing ...



I ran out of Miller 750 red clay a couple of weeks ago and wasn't able to get any from my supplier in time for this past firing. Instead, I picked up 150 pounds of 950, which turns out to be a heavily-grogged sculpture clay. (I know, I should have realized that ... ) Miserable to throw, like throwing sandpaper. I threw a few things, but gave up on that and decided to use the slab roller to make some vases, after seeing some Randy Johnston slab pots in his show at the Pucker Gallery last winter.
The slabs were rolled out, cut into squarish shapes, then folded onto themselves and pinched closed. Then slab bases were added and folded up onto the rough cylinder. I added dustcatcher "ears" to a couple of them, stamped shell stamps across the rims and here and there on the pinched joint, and that was that. The stoneware took well to the Shino glazes and to an Oribe I poured over Shino on the bigger one. Sold one just after it came out of the kiln. I would be eager to see them fired in a wood kiln, though I like them pretty well as they came from my gas kiln.


7 comments:

ang design said...

oooh yey gorgeous!! my big pot recycled clay is a bit like throwing with sandpaper i just finish it up with some slip..oooh and use every tool i can find to throw with :))

Hannah said...

Hi Holis,
Them there tall pots are lovely. Is that you done for the year now?

Lookout Mountain Pottery said...

Nice vase shape Holis, I just loaded a kiln with planters made from Orange stone a clay from Highwater.Im firing tomorrow so I can have some new pots for Christmas day .

cookingwithgas said...

nice results from stepping out- seems we love a problem- great way to resolve it.

Craig Edwards said...

Hollis: Some pretty good pots. I didn't really "get them" until I clicked on them and got a bigger image.
Have a Merry Christmas
Cheers
~Craig

Joaki said...

Interesting parts, in form and surface treatment. I really like

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. I'm working on bigger ones now. This particular clay has me making slabs and building vases and slab serving dishes. And Joaki, mil gracias. Me gustan mucho tus alrarerias.