Monday, August 8, 2011

Keep saying, "We need the rain ... "




Sunday was the annual Cataumet Arts Center fair, in the little park downhill from the arts center and just a few miles from my studio. It's a friendly little local fair, usually seeing the same folks we saw last year and, for me, selling a few pots and making some decent money. Sunday here on the western end of Cape Cod was also a dismal day of rain and wind. Mostly rain. All day. And few sales.
The day was spent dodging the runoff dripping from the EZ-Up roof, emptying chowder bowls filling up at the front of the tent, saying "Lovely day, eh?" to anyone who came by, selling maybe five pots, changing wet shirts, visiting briefly with Harvard ceramics teacher and potter Crystal Ribich, stomping in the swamp-like conditions around my tent, watching umbrellas pass ...
You know, it was pleasant enough and the tent kept me more or less dry, except when I stood near the dripline. But I was happy to get home.

5 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

Ugh. I can never really decide which is worse....blazing heat or pouring rain.....

We DO need that rain here.....

Tracey Broome said...

I would have been so happy to come out in the rain and shop! Reminds me of my first show of spring though, the run off on the tent is the worst part :)

ang design said...

I know the feeling :P

cookingwithgas said...

One of the best shows we ever had was in the rain- it rained and the folks poured out money in hand...miss those days.
Rain and money!

Hollis Engley said...

It was definitely not raining money that day.
Would love to have seen you out shopping, Tracey. Or visiting.