Monday, November 28, 2011

Sunday afternoon, low tide on the oyster flats





We are in the middle of oyster season here on Cape Cod. I take time off from pot-making to fish with my friends Mike and Tammy Race and a few others on Sundays when the tide is low. It was midafternoon yesterday, with a particularly low tide and lots of sand and oysters exposed, and a fair number of people out oystering. I won't say where the oyster beds are, to keep you people in North Carolina, Scotland and southern England from coming over here and poaching on our territory. Suffice to say they are within a day's drive of my house in Falmouth.
We shared three different preparations of oysters on Thanksgiving Day at the Races' - raw, broiled with spinach, and in a French marinade of white wine, olive oil and herbs. This group loves its oysters.
And a warm November day in rubber boots, wandering around the tidal flats harvesting them is not a bad way to spend an hour. It is, as I've said before, one of the reasons we live where we live.
Photos: Top, low sun and bent-over oyster hunters; Mike and Tammy sorting through the catch; Mike and his son Jordan carrying the baskets back to the car; full limits for three shellfish permits.

2 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I had to check this morning to be sure Mark was not on a flight to your house- he would be if I did not keep my eye on him.
Tell the cape cod gang hello and yum- although you have to eat all my raw ones- okay?

Hollis Engley said...

Tell Mark to come on up. I've seen him digging clams, so I think he could handle the gathering of oysters.