Saturday, January 28, 2012

A largely Shino January firing






Lots of Shino pots in yesterday's kilnload, and most of them in a white/gray carbon-trap recipe that came to me from the Harvard ceramics program in Boston. It traps well and presents different looks depending on how it's oriented to the flame. It also plays well with others, taking the poured Shinos and ash glazes that I layer over it.
Many of the pots in this load were brown Miller stoneware with granite grit wedged in to give it some character. I think you'll see that in some of the images. This firing got a bit out of control, when I couldn't see the top cones and had to go by the bottom, slightly cooler ones. Cone 11 flat at the top, bending a bit at the bottom. My ash Kaki glaze didn't like that much and ran on a couple of pots. It just hates anything over 10. I knew that, but still ...
Anyway, a good firing. I'll post some pots for you to see.
The photos: Top, a nice little Shino teabowl; big vase, layered Shinos; shallow bowl with McAndrew/Fitch black slip under the Shino; shallow Shino bowls with ash pours; standard Shino mugs with finger-swipes.

5 comments:

ang design said...

your doing some lovely plates/dishes at the mo hollis... very nice firing!

Anna M. Branner said...

Really beautiful Hollis!

cookingwithgas said...

nice- well I should think so- beauties and all yummy and tasty looking.

Ron Mello Studio Pottery plus said...

Very nice Hollis.. I am going to fire my electric to gas conversion soon. Looking now for some Shino recipes at cone 6.

Michèle Hastings said...

it's all beautiful and my favorite is the layered shino vase.