Monday, January 2, 2012

Good pots from the New Year's Eve kiln





I fired New Year's Eve, shutting down the kiln a couple of hours before we had to go out to a party. I overfired a bit, with cone 11 flat at top because I'd placed the cones far enough back to make them invisible to me. Clever on my part. So I went by the bottom cones, where the temps turned out to be about a half-cone cooler. No big deal, really. Minimal running of the ash glazes, which don't much like cone 11.
Lots of teabowls, shallow pasta bowls and a couple dozen mugs. Good to start the year with a decent firing.
Dee was off work, of course, and her sister Marcy was visiting from Albuquerque, so they helped with the unloading and critique.
The photos: Squared bottle, glazed in Bright Shino with ash glaze pours; personal pasta bowls with iron sponged slip and Shino glaze; a variety of thumbhole teabowls; two small bowls glazed in Shino, with copper red and blue ash pours.

13 comments:

Linda Starr said...

yummy

gz said...

Good!!!!!!
(and I can read the writing...thankyou for taking the trouble :-) )

Cambria Pottery said...

Love the crackled slip under the glaze surfaces nice pots

Tracey Broome said...

I. Would be interested in buying those bottom two plates if you are selling them, they are fantastic!

Hollis Engley said...

Everything's for sale, Tracey. You should know that they are more like shallow bowls. I can send you a better image of them if you like.

mudheartpottery said...

great pots!

Anna M. Branner said...

What a great variety of fantastic pots! Definitely a terrific way to start the year.

Gail said...

Hollis...these are some of the most fantastic things that I think you have posted...Love the lasttwo plates...

ang design said...

love those shallow bowls!! the glassy glaze brushstroke v nice touch :)) mr E dont ya just love a kiln unloading crew

cookingwithgas said...

that bottle is tasty as heck! you must be pleased!
Here's to more firings and better placement of the cones.

Amy said...

Wow... great results. really like the colors, shinos are my favorite.

Unknown said...

Delicious! Looks like 2012 will be a good one for you if these results are any predictor!

Quietly Otaku said...

Nice I love the tea bowls, lovely glossy colours. Happy new year!