Monday, May 7, 2012

A busy weekend of pots

This was as packed a weekend as I hope to have.
Saturday morning I drove to the Lexington Arts and Crafts Society, beyond Boston, for a day-long throwing workshop with Doug Casebeer, director of the clay program at Anderson Ranch in Snowmass, Colo. I was in a workshop at the Ranch about 15 years ago with Doug and Takashi Nakazato, two weeks that helped push me toward full-time potmaking. (Doug was the juror for this year's State of Clay statewide show at the LACS gallery, organized by Joan Carcia and Alice Abrams.)
Doug is comfortable talking in front of a crowd about the way he works and his philosophy. And he makes wonderful, relaxed pots. Both his pots and his sculpture make reference to his upbringing in the agricultural and more or less flat American Midwest.
That was Saturday during the day. I left the workshop a bit early to get back to the Cape in time for us to go to the opening of "Harmony and Balance: The Art of the Japanese Tea Ceremony" at the Cotuit Center for the Arts. The show, a mix of pots, metalwork, prints and paintings, was organized by our friend Lois Hirshberg, a raku potter who lives near here. I have several pots in that show and it looks great. Sunday, there were two sessions of the tea ceremony, which I missed because ...
That day we went back up north, Dee to a massage meeting in Newton and me back to the official opening of State of Clay. I walked into the opening and show organizer (and fine potter) Joan Carcia grabbed me and steered me to my four shallow pasta bowls, which now had a Juror's Award notice posted on them. It's enough to have a couple of pots juried into the show, but a special award (and a check) is pretty cool. Doug had good things to say about the bowls and about all the other winning pieces during his gallery talk.
This morning, I packed my truck with lights and tripods and graduated background and went off to our monthly Clay Club meeting to show people how I photograph my pots. We have a show coming up in the fall, with the jurying deadline in about a week, and some people barely knew which end of the camera to hold. So a few of the regulars got to shoot their pots on the spot and the others took lots of notes.
Now I have to mow the lawn. Then, tomorrow, I start glazing for firing later in the week.

Photos: Top, Doug at the wheel; the bowls that won the Juror's Prize; contemplating Ben Ryterband's "La Tendre Difference du Monde"; Susan Varga's magnificent "From Venice to Istanbul"; and my small, quiet squared bottle with poured Shinos amid some colorful work including, at right below, Frances Johnson's woodfired vessel, at far left Sarah Caruso's "Red Octopus Charger" and, above and to the right of my bottle, Alice Abrams' "Club Sandwich."








7 comments:

Gail said...

Hollis...Congrats on the 'State of Clay" award. It is always rewarding to have one's work recognized.

Peter said...

Congratulations, really nice for you to have the award, and well deserved too! You have had quite a weekend, I did find the photos of the exhibition interesting as they show such a wide variety of work. I am amused (and reassured) by the gadget that you have on your site that records my visit as coming from Hamilton NZ.., it is the right country, and an improvement on Auckland, but still is the wrong island! It is oddly comforting to know that the internet still has not quite pin-pointed me with complete accuracy!

Tracey Broome said...

Of course you won, silly! You bowls are amazing!! We had soup in them today with bruschetta. All tasting so much better because of the serving pieces :)
Congratulations, well deserved, as Peter said!

Hannah said...

Nice one Hollis, must feel jolly about that.
Just thinking about my next trip to your side of the pond....
hx

Unknown said...

Hollis,
Those bowls are stunning! I can see why they won an award...and I am jealous of Tracey who has soup out of hers ;)
Looks like I need to do some shopping soon!!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, everyone. As Gail said, it's good to have the pots recognized. And thanks for the confidence, Trace. Hannah ... are you coming this way?

Hannah said...

Maybe Hollis, maybe, Minnesota maybe, next year, maybe.....