Monday, May 14, 2012

One more thing on this last firing

A couple of weeks ago I saw a small hanging vase on a Japanese blog. Just a little thing, good for one or two blossoms, placed in a quiet out-of-the-way place, a small and sweet visual surprise. I had a little ball of clay left from a throwing session, so I coned up the ball, cut the facets, opened the pot and gave it a bit of a rim above the facets. Once it dried a bit, I cut a pair of holes for the hanging wire. I glazed it, like almost everything else, in Nuka and fired it.
This morning I found a piece of copper wire and three of Dee's spring flowers and hung it next to my studio door. Now, I have to remember to keep replacing the flowers ...
This afternoon, I had literally a pound of clay left in the studio (I'm picking up more tomorrow), so I threw a couple more of the little hanging vases.
Center, the top cone pack, with cone 11 just about where it ought to be.




7 comments:

gz said...

posy pots are fun to do- they sell well too, often to children. A good way to start our buyers on the pottery habit!

cookingwithgas said...

love that wee vase and yes to flowers. this is my year of keeping flowers where I can see them everyday.
Loves they are.
M

Tracey Broome said...

Looks like a good mothers day present, haha! Actually I really like it, very pretty:)

Michèle Hastings said...

sweet. i have been making something similar in shino or wood fired, just a different shape.

Patricia Griffin Ceramics said...

Lovely!... Replacing the flowers is the hard part... I guess it would defeat the whole thing to stick a few plastic posies in there. Ha!

Julia said...

The little hanging vase is just lovely. It makes me want to plant flowers. :)

Ron said...

Great little wall pot!