Saturday, June 30, 2012

Three pots in October show, one pot in use

I got the good news about a week ago that three of my faceted teabowls were juried into "Concepts In Clay," the October show of the Cape Cod Potters at the Cape Cod Museum of Art in Dennis. Potter Ellen Shankin of Floyd, Va., was the juror. I don't know the exact numbers of pots and potters, but the museum's big room will hold the work of more than 30 Cape potters and sculptors. More about the show when it gets a bit closer.
I love being in a gallery or museum show so that people can see my pots. But display like that amounts to the theory of claywork and a pot in use in someone's home is its practice. I say this because when we got to the home of our friends Trudi and Brad Hennemuth in Lincolnville, Me., last week, there was one of my simple cylindrical vases in a window, loaded with lovely orange flowers. (Sorry, someone's going to have to tell me what kind they are ... ) I love to see pots being used.





4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

there is nothing better than to see a pot in use.
PS- as I was eating my tomato sandwich yesterday I thought of you.
Red, ripe, off the vine goodness...

BUT! congrats on being chosen your tea bowls are sweet works of art.

Tracey Broome said...

Congrats on the show, I'll shoot some photos of your tea bowls in use here one day, the three of them are back together as Wesley has brought hers home from school for the summer! Congrats of the show, of course you were jurored in!

Quietly Otaku said...

I agree, pots just look so different when they're actually 'at home'!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. I've got teabowls out for another show, too. I should probably enter things other than teabowls ...
And Meredith, the first local hothouse tomatoes are now on sale at Bogside Farm in Pocasset. I traded some freshly-dug clams for a half-dozen the other day. No doubt those Carolina ones are better, but Cathy raises some great tomatoes, which come to market many weeks before these things in my backyard.