Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Two very different styles of pottery ...

I wanted to fire this week to get more inventory for the three-day Chatham Creative Arts Center show down at the elbow of the Cape. And Kim Medeiros of The Barn Pottery in Pocasset had some pots she wanted to get in, so we shared space in the gas kiln yesterday.
Two more different styles of pot would be hard to find in one firing.
I often kid Kim that she makes "girly pots" - non-Shino non-Temmoku colors (Wow! Color!) and slips and drawings of women. She takes it well. But she does in fact make lovely pots that work very well with what for me would be scary reds and blues. It taxes my color-avoidance attitude to sneak in a splash of copper red or Oribe onto a layered Shino. I do it, but it's frightening.
So, while my Shinos and ash glazes were layered randomly on top of each other - occasional glaze spitting out onto the shelf, ash glaze running off the pot, darkness vying with darkness on extremely rough faceted teabowls - Kim's blues and reds were starting to sparkle on the back shelf. The glazes may say something about my occasionally dark disposition and her own indomitable sunny nature.
In any case, I think we're both happy with the firing. Amazing that pots so different from each other can work well together at Cone 10.








4 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

It's so odd to see color coming from your kiln! But I am glad you like to splash a little red around because I love the bowls I got from you!

cookingwithgas said...

sweet and nice that you can get both different works to come out in your kiln.
I do favor that Tea bowl on the right second picture, it speaks to me.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Weird to see those colors behind my darker ones. But Kim's very talented her slips and colorful glazes. They fit her. Thanks, Meredith. Those are pretty big and gnarly teabowls. Wish I'd photographed them better.

Quietly Otaku said...

Thats the thing I love about pottery theres so much personality in every piece it reflects a little of the person who made it!