Friday, August 31, 2012

Invited to a teabowl show

I got a call this week from Scott Roberts in the Animas Valley of Colorado, inviting me to be part of the "Three Cups" show in October. It's a show of teabowls (chawan and yunomi) and related Japanese teaware, at the Durango Arts Center in Durango.
The list of contributing potters is impressive, including Doug Casebeer, Alleghany Meadows, Sandy Simon, Robert Brady, Doug Fitch, Hannah McAndrew, John Neely, Brandon Phillips, Blair Meerfeld and more. Also, work by the late Japanese potter Tatsuzo Shimaoka. There will be close to 200 pots in all. I'm happy and grateful to have four of my pots included among the work of those terrific makers.
The show will be curated by Michael Thunder of the White Dragon Tearoom and Gallery. It runs October 8-28. Sounds like a great event there in the San Juan Mountains of Southern Colorado. Wish we could be there, but it's great that the pots can be.
I'll attach photos of a few recent bowls of the type that will be sent to the show. Haven't made any final decisions yet on what will go to Colorado.








11 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

Well deserved, Hollis!

cookingwithgas said...

ditto! I can think of no one better.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. It's a nice invitation.

Gail said...

Congratulations Hollis.
Love the third one posted.
So glad that I have several of your pieces...coming to The Cape tomorrow for about five days and plan on catching the Cahoon show.

Tracey Broome said...

Well, of course you are in a tea bowl show, silly! You make some of the best ones out there:)

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Gail. Enjoy the Cahoon show. Trace, I love seeing my stuff used by you guys.

FetishGhost said...

What a line up! It's great getting watch the hometeam bat a few out of the park.
Your work earns it's place Hollis.I hope they are posting the exhibition.

Hannah said...

Haven't made the final decision? Heck I haven't made the pots even!

Hollis Engley said...

Get busy, Hannah

Ron Mello Studio Pottery plus said...

Hey Hollis, I hope your summer is going well. Contratulations on the Colorado show..Very nice stuff..

Hannah said...

How do you make tea bowls? Only ever made three in my life, one now owned by David Wright, one by the receiver of my Pofest tea bowl swap and one that I gave to Alan Gaff god bless him.