Tuesday, September 4, 2012

There will be new pots in Boston Saturday

Just finished loading the glaze kiln with teabowls, vases, many mugs, a few other odds and ends.
Somehow, I always think I need new pots for a show, in this case Art in the Park by the Artists Group of Charlestown, in Boston. Never mind that there are hundreds in the shed gallery and another hundred or more in the upstairs gallery. And I just packed up about seven clay boxes with "seconds" for the Cape Cod Potters' seconds sale next month ... and the shed hardly looks any different.
And I've been excited about big teabowls the past month or so, so there are several in this firing. Faceted and expanded and torqued, then glazed usually in a base Shino glaze with pours of Shino, ash and other glazes over that. You can see some in the photos. I wanted a wider choice in picking out four chawan or yunomi for the Durango show next month. There might be a good one in there somewhere.
There are also a couple of Kim Medeiros pots in there, as well as a few refires by one of her students. Kim's pots like my kiln for some reason.
Oh, and a woman was in the gallery Sunday and asked, "Are your prices fixed?" I paused, then said, "Well, they're glued to the side of each pot, if that's what you mean."
I hate that question. How do you all handle it?



9 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Fixed? No, they may go up any minute.

cookingwithgas said...

I usually say No, I could take more for that pot, thanks!

Hollis Engley said...

Good answers, both of them. Thanks, friends

Tracey Broome said...

Here's what you say..." actually the prices are not fixed, I will be raising them next week so you should get one now while you can afford a very important potters work", then mutter under your breath while gritting your teeth..."bithch"
I felt like I got such a bargain paying $65 for two of your bowls that I use and enjoy every single day. I'm really getting sick of these uneducated about art people!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Tracey. I'll see if I can combine all these techniques at the show this weekend, though I have to say the Boston show has rarely had these kinds of buyers.

cookingwithgas said...

New thought, because it takes me awhile.
Maybe she thinks you are part of the "family" fixing prices on pottery all over the Cape.
I always want to find out if they give back 20% of their paycheck because they just don't need all that money.

Hollis Engley said...

I like it. Organized pottery price-fixing. Has anyone ever tried to organize potters? Jeez ...

Glenn Roesler said...

There are many variations of the fixed price question and the something-for-nothing shopper. Effective answers to this tribe of folks could fill a chapter, if not a book. But here's the one response that has always worked best for me, especially at art fairs, but it works elsewhere as well. And it's kind of fun: I engage them. I give these shoppers a very sincere smile (sincere, really) and simply ask "What did you have in mind?" It's receptive and positive and it puts the question back on them. What follows may be a number of things, but can and often does go like this: I just wanted to know your price policy ... you know, will you negotiate? Well, not on a single item, that wouldn't be fair to everyone else who has paid full price for one of those today, now would it? Well, how much do I have to spend or how many things do I have to buy to ...? Well, I'm flattered that you like my work well enough that you are (now) considering the purchase of more than one item. Why don't you first select the things you like, and I think you'll be very happy with how generous I can be. (Time passes.) OK, I'd like these three items -- what's my discount? Well, for only those three items, I can't do much -- but if you select one more thing, you can have (wait for it) anything else I have for sale here for free. Free??--You mean of equal or lesser value to ...? No.-I mean anything.-I thought we were talking about overall price, not value.-I believe the value of my work is as I have priced it.-You obviously like it, but find it overvalued, overpriced.-So please, I insist, after you select one more item, the next one is free.-Anything.-Anything at all. But aren't you worried that I'll pick out ...? No, no I'm not.-You didn't come all the way here just to take advantage of a poor potter.-Who does that?-And why?-So they can brag to their friends about what they did.-No one does THAT.-Buy four (or whatever) and get one free. ---- Well, they seldom back out at this point. Then I wrap everything in a lot, I mean a lot, of newspaper so it takes 2-3 bags. She got her something for nothing, and when she leaves my art fair booth carrying 2-3 big bags of pottery, well, everyone else flocks in to see what all the fuss is about. The next hour or more of full price sales goes better than it would have otherwise. So, when I hear "fixed" or any similar F-word, I know it's time to prime the pump. -gr.

Hollis Engley said...

Brilliant.