Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Glaze over glaze over glaze ...

For the past year or so, I've been doing more layering of glazes, particularly on teabowls and vases, mostly over a base glaze of Shino. Sometimes it's another Shino or two, sometimes Oribe or copper red or ash celadon. When they work, they give a surface that is made up of several surfaces. And faceting the clay on the wheel, most often using a twisted wire, shows a base reality that's sometimes there and sometimes not. If any of that makes sense ...
The resulting pots do not exactly fly off the shelves, but I've sold enough to think that there's a market for these pots. Somewhere ...
All of which is to say I finished loading the kiln this afternoon, loading the last two shelves in front. The top cone shelf has a half-dozen very rough and large teabowls, most in a base Shino with multiple layers. We'll see how it goes.
I shot a few photos of a couple of the pots as bisqueware and then with dipped and poured glazes. The lumpy bowls have granite inclusions. I fire tomorrow. I'll get some finished pots on the blog perhaps Friday, after the kiln is opened. At the bottom, a teabowl glazed this way from a few firings ago.





8 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Of course you know I love your pots but I don't remember the blues that you are showing with this one. Very interesting.
I loved your surprised buy in your last post, very nice to see money left. Do you know what they bought? I like when they say here is money for.
Otherwise I wonder for days what is gone.
Happy fall and good firing.

Kimberly Medeiros said...

Oh Lord, Hollis! Are your inclusions going to burst into my ladies???You've got me worried....

Dan Finnegan said...

n...bursting inclusions....great name for a rock band....or a serious malady!

Hollis Engley said...

Fear not, Kim. Your ladies are safe from my non-bursting inclusions. (Kim has several of her pots in this firing of my kiln.) I do like Finnegan's malady reference, though. I can only imagine where the bursting inclusions would be located.
No, Meredith, I have no idea what they bought. Usually, people leave a little note. None this time, though. And I think the "blue" you see is a reflection from the outside. So far, no blue ... copper greens and reds, though.

Hollis Engley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michèle Hastings said...

Your tea bowls are beautiful. As you probably know, Jeff Brown makes faceted tea bowls and sake cups as well, and they don't fly off the shelves. They need a special buyer. He actually has sold quite a few on Etsy and has acquired a couple of collectors via the site.
Another good connection for serious tea drinkers is teachat.com. It's a discussion group that Jeff belongs to. I think there is a section for artists to post pictures of their work.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Michelle. Great idea.

Julia said...

Your tea bowls are amazing and so unique! Those glaze surfaces are so interesting - you could spend years with a bowl like that and still find neat things on it that surprised and interested you. :)

Can't wait to see how the glazed ones turn out in this firing!