Friday, September 21, 2012

Moving into autumn

Just a short post today, while I take a break from cleaning up the studio and getting ready to mix glazes for next week's firing.
We're going to have a couple of cedars taken down next to the house, but when they come down they'll fall onto the vegetable garden. Or what's left of it. So I picked the last of the peppers this afternoon. Jalapenos, Anchos and a lifetime supply of Habaneros. (A "lifetime supply" of Habaneros is roughly 10 peppers.)
The garden is a tangle of dead tomato, cucumber, pepper and tomatillo vines. The last tomatoes came in a few days ago; there haven't been cucumbers for weeks and the tomatillos would fully ripen some time around Thanksgiving, if I let them. Today's skies have been gray and threatening and the wind is cool. It's wool shirt or fleece weather here now. I mowed the yard yesterday, after letting the broken lawn mower influence my yard maintenance. We should have brought in a herd of goats.
I whined in my last post about the craft show circuit, and I think rightly so. However, I got back from Harwich last week to find a handful of dry trimmings on the wheelhead, holding down a nice little pile of U.S. currency. Sometimes I just love the people who buy my pots.


Later ...

4 comments:

claydancer said...

It is fun to hear your talk of the weather and your garden. I live in Northern, CA in the interior valley where it is still 90-95 degrees and my fall/winter garden is going gangbusters. However, by this time next year this all her life Cali girl should be ensconced in my MFA studies at UMass-D. Sounds like I will get to go shopping for a new wardrobe!

Julia said...

Oh, peppers! We just finished roasting, smoking and drying ours...we thought just in the nick of time before first frost. And then, boom, hot spell - the beauty of living in the fickle desert.

Lovely post.

gayacac said...

Very fresh... very nice....
Check out our workshop & resident artist programs on www.gayaceramic.com
http://gayacac.blogspot.com

Quietly Otaku said...

The weather has certainly broken round here too, apparently we're going to have quite a tough winter!