Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Killing time ... waiting for buyers

The Cranberry Festival arts fair in Harwich last weekend was full of strollers and lookers ... tons of them. Very few buyers of pottery, though. Or, I should say, of my pottery. Enough about that, except that this craft fair business is wearing on me ... there's gotta be a better way to sell a pot.
So while the crowds flowed by in the early Sunday morning sunshine, I took a look at my pots and decided to photograph the brilliantly lighted glaze patterns.








The glazes I use - overlapping Shinos, Kaki, Temmoku, Nuka, ash celadon, copper red, Oribe, a few glass flows - often react with each other like the surface geology of an alien planet or Earth's occasionally rain-soaked desert or a Yellowstone hot spring. But you have to look closely to see that effect. Most people probably won't see it in a stroll past my tent, and even people who like my pots probably won't get close enough to see the glaze landscape.
With my two Nikons, their close-focusing lenses and the straight-on September sunshine, you should be able to see in these photos what I'm talking about.
The photos: Oribe over Shino on a teabowl, ash celadon over Shino on faceted teabowl, copper red and blue ash over Shino on plate, ash celadon on small shallow bowl, finger wipes through Shino on shallow bowl, Nuka overlapping Temmoku on large vase, blue glass run through Temmoku on large vase.

9 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I think I'm off the road for the year.It's a tough way to make a buck.

Tracey Broome said...

Hollis, your work needs to be in galleries and online. Screw the craft fairs, I'm selling way more since I decided not to do them. I have more time to focus on my work instead of futzing around with show applications, booth set ups,packing, blah blah. The trick is finding good galleries, but they are out there, find them, they will love your work!
The effort you are putting into these hit or miss outdoor shows could be better spent making your etsy shop successful in the comfort of your dry coffee shop:) just sayin....

Kimberly Medeiros said...

Hollis, your glazes and pots are beautiful! I'm about ready to take Tracey's advice re the torture of shows, as you know;).I especially love the first shot. Great use of your time.

cookingwithgas said...

Instead of killing time send some my way- I could use some extra!
Love the close ups!

Kevin Carter said...

Nice close-ups of the glazes! I love that abstract type of stuff.
If we're at a two day show, it seems that one day has buyers, the other day is mostly "walkers, talkers and gawkers".
Just goes with the territory I suppose.

Quietly Otaku said...

Beautiful! I particularly like the last photo although im not quite sure why reminds me of a river almost. This is why sunshine is the best thing for taking photos!

smartcat said...

I'm with Tracey.....go for a few good galleries and online. Location! Location! Location!
I found craft shows became financially and emotionally draining. Too many compliments with not enough sales! I think it's because unless it's a high end show people still think craft show means cheap bargains .....Then there is always the joy of being put next to the lady who makes dough ornaments!

Hollis Engley said...

Yeah, I love the dough ornament person. And the guy who makes plastic dogbone magnets that say "I (heart) my Shar Pei." No doubt you guys are right. Thanks, all, for commenting. And Meredith, come pick up some of my spare time, will you?

Tracey Broome said...

My last outdoor "craft show" was with the lady that glued all of that Walmart china together to make totem poles and the air brush toilet seat guy and the PVC spit ball shooter. That's when I knew it had to end! Find some galleries!