Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Mid-morning on the water, raking the bottom

I set two wareboards of big teabowls in the sun this morning to dry. Then I loaded my kayak, paddle and clam rake onto the pickup and headed to Monument Beach. I know I said some months ago that I would post no more clamming pictures. Well ...
Sept. 12 was a brilliant, cool, blue sky kind of day, with temperatures in the high 40s early and in the 60s when Tammy, Mike and I got our boats into the water about 10:30 and began paddling to the other side of the small bay, to the muddy clam flats that adjoin Tobey Island.
I've written before that these days in September and October are some of the best here on this thin arm of land at the edge of the Atlantic. The summer folk have mostly gone home, there are few weekday tourists and the weather continues - barring hurricanes - to be what you see in the photos here. The blessing of being a self-employed potter is that I can ask the boss for a couple of hours off to take the kayak out to the flats on a pretty September morning.

And that's what I did today. 
And the pots did a good job of drying themselves. More coming this afternoon and tomorrow.
Photos: Mike and Tammy at work on the water.






6 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Clamtastic!

Unknown said...

Nice boss!
I will never get sick of seeing your clamming photos :)

Tracey Broome said...

Jeez Hollis, could life get any harder for you:)

MH said...

Wore my Falmouth ball cap today just cause I KNEW ya'll would be clamming... wish I could have helped. That is indeed a lovely spot to spend a few hours. Best to Mike & Tammy & Dee.

Michèle Hastings said...

Clams are one of the things I miss here in NC... seafood just isn't the same here.
Hopefully I can get past the word captcha... haven't been able to lately.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Days like today are the perfect reason to be here by the water. Mark, there's always a boat here to take you out to the flats again.
Yes, Tracey, life's difficult here. Want some clams?