Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lots of pots in the past few weeks

Kim Medeiros and I have been busy in our studios for the past month making work for our "Facets of the Harbor" show at Gallery 65 on William in New Bedford. The "Moby Dick"-era whaling port - and still vital deepsea fishing port - is climbing out of decades of a depressed local economy. But the old downtown is in good physical shape and shops and restaurants have been slowly returning, spurred in part by the conversion of a local department store into the art department of the University of Massachusetts at Dartmouth. That's brought more art and artists to the downtown. It's exciting for both of us to be part of that.
Our pots for this show will reflect the long-ago whales and sailing ships, and the motorized ships of today and the fish they hunt. We should have more pictures tomorrow, since most of the pots are in my kiln and Kim's kiln as I write.
I'll post pots for the show tomorrow or Friday, after all of them are out of the kilns. Meanwhile, I'm still making my own pots, as Kim is making her own pots, and I've been happy with the work lately, particularly the Shinos and some of the overlapping glazes. Here are a few from the past couple of firings.
Photos: Serving bowl, Malcolm's Orange Trap Shino, with ash celadon pours; small vase with Trap Shino and ash celadon; bowl with Nuka over Temmoku; bowl with crawled Trap Shino; another bowl with crawled Trap Shino; small lobed vase with Trap Shino under an overcoat of ash celadon.










4 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Last year on our trip to Maine, I read Moby Dick and Ahabs Wife. I am quite partial to whales after reading those, can't wait to see the work for this show, sounds so great!

Chris said...

Outstanding pots.

cookingwithgas said...

It has been interesting to watch this new process.
You are having some fantastic results.

Stacey said...

Your tea bowls are amazing. I have seen few with so much personality. As a youngish person trying to et my life together to become professional potter, I can say that I do believe in this age of electronic devices there will be many that will come to enjoy the visual and tactile pleasures that tea bowls bring (I have a daily favorite too given to me by my mentor). I am trying to get a studio up and running through kickstarter but even if I do I will only have an electric kiln to start. Baby steps, right? http://kck.st/18AbGMc Until the day I can start creating again, I will enjoy looking at and using stunning works like yours! Thank you for bringing these to life!