Thursday, May 2, 2013

Spring must be here ...

I drove home from the coffee shop this sunny morning past my favorite farm stand. It's a little wooden cart that shows up this time of year at the end of a driveway near Falmouth High School. A Chinese family lives in the house and the mother - raised in southern China - grows vegetables there throughout the spring and summer. I use her beautiful fresh parsley all summer long. This time of year, with snow only a few weeks in the past, she's picking parsley, lovely small leeks, rhubarb and garlic chives. Most of what she grows is priced to sell - $1 a bunch for most of it, $2 for a half-dozen leeks.
Two nights ago we had stir-fried cod with garlic, ginger and her chopped garlic chives. Tonight it's frittata with her leeks and Trader Joe's artichokes. I love this time of year.
In the studio, it's mugs and vases today. My friend Anne Halpin was here to watch me pull handles. Made a few faceted vases and some shallow teabowls after getting all the mugs handled. More tomorrow.



4 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

Spring food from the garden reminds us all of how sweet life is.
I am with you on eating those things grown with love.
I am going out today to pick up fresh herbs plants and buy some fresh onions and spinach.

Tracey Broome said...

Last Saturday the farmers market was overflowing with GREEN, I love this time of year! Didnt we have some greens from your friend when we were there?

Hollis Engley said...

We did, Tracey. And they built a greenhouse this winter, so Tam and Mike are already eating their own salads.

Unknown said...

Mugs! Yay for Hollis!