Friday, July 10, 2009

Late week report on last weekend ...




I've been making plates, squared bowls, vases and a bunch of other things for next week's firing, so have not reported on the July 4 kiln-opening. It was, to paraphrase a couple of my friends, not a great day to schedule an event out here in the country. July 4 is, as you probably know, the big national holiday that is the kickoff for the American summer. This year it fell on a Saturday and it also fell on a gorgeous blue-sky Cape Cod Saturday, of which there have been very few this spring and early summer. And not many blue-sky Monday, Tuesdays etc.
Hence, a sparse turnout. We had neighbors and a couple of good friends show up to drink coffee and pass pots out of the kiln. And for that we're grateful. The rest of the day was spent sorting through pots. The firing was a good one. This combination of glazes and kiln is doing good things. I'll attach a couple of photos.
I've just loaded the truck with pots and tables and such for an off-Cape Cod trip to nearby Marion for Art in the Park. It's a small craft show run by nice people and frequented by equally nice folks from the South Coast. If you're in the neighborhood, drop by. It runs from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. next to Marion's small but lively art center, just up the street from the harbor.
And next weekend, July 18, will be our next kiln-opening. I'm still making pots for that one. We hope to have a local jeweler to share the bounteous number of visitors who will have gotten all that Independence Day silliness out of their systems and are now prepared to buy handmade stuff. More on that in a couple of days.
On the photos: A brilliant copper red mug with crackle slip beneath; a selection of jugs, a simple vase and three squared teabowls; and just-cooled larger squared bowls, with a small bowl in the background glazed in Antarctic/Ash glaze, with Solway Firth mud (hello, Hannah) spattered on it. More work to be done on that combination. Also in that photo is evidence of the disappearing high cones at the top peep. Apparently, my drying of the conepack was incomplete and hidden water blew up the high-fire pack but left the lower cones intact. First time that's happened to me. Remarkably, the resulting explosion damaged only one pot, a plate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that red mug. It looks like coral - so beautiful!

Dan Finnegan said...

My opinion of copper red pots is well known (at least by you!) so I'll leave that unsaid!!,But I'm sorry that the sale was a bust...
hotdogs, fireworks and Budweiser probably don't mix with your wonderful pots.
I was cooking woodfired pizzas here to celebrate the 4th.
I hope that kiln opening the 2nd is much improved!

Hollis Engley said...

I put only the finest copper reds on the blog, in your honor, Daniel. And thanks, Kellie. I just did the Art in the Park festival in Marion, nearby on the mainland, and that mug got picked up by every other person who entered the booth. No one bought it, but ...

Docks-Pottery said...

Buongiorno Holli,
I am happy to find always something interesting in your blog.
complimenti
filippo

Hollis Engley said...

Grazie, Filippo. I feel the same about yours.

Anonymous said...

wow, beautiful pieces, particularly the reds with the crackle.

Hannah said...

they reckon the mud in the Solway is radioactive but I swim in the firth and it's done me no harm - wobble shake shiver.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Jim. Hannah, I put a bit of the Solway mud on with some of the Antarctic pieces. They blended together. I'm going to fire Friday and this time I'll make up a separate Solway/ash glase and see what happens. And take care of that twitch, will you?