Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A little pot talk with Anne Halpin and me



Wednesday, July 22, Anne Halpin and I will be at the Woods Hole Museum at 1 p.m. to talk about pots, pot-making, how we got where we are and where we might be going. Anne and I are two of the six potters in the current show at the museum. The show runs through the summer. This gallery talk is free of charge and will probably be more exciting than sitting on the beach in the rain, so it might be worth attending. (The weather predictions for tomorrow are not good.)
Anne is a fine maker of functional pottery and owns Quissett Pottery, a couple of miles up the Woods Hole Road in the direction of Falmouth. She trained at St. Mary's College, Notre Dame, in Indiana, and has been making pots in Falmouth for many years.
I began making pots about 20 years ago at the Art League School in Alexandria, Va., when I needed something to distract me from the meetings and interpersonal conflicts of a national newswire service. I've been making pots here in Falmouth for about 10 years.
Anne and I are good friends. We should have some fun talking about our pots. You should have some fun listening to us, or exchanging your own ideas about pot-making.
Saturday morning at 11, I'll also do a throwing demonstration at the museum for anyone inclined to watch.

No comments: