Tuesday, February 23, 2010

I need to develop glazes like this ...





We've just returned from our second weekend in Vermont, this time up north in the little town of Underhill, where we stayed with friends Peter and Cindy. It appears that there's a state law that requires snowfall north of Montpelier, so we were in snow of one kind or another most of two days. We skied at the Smuggler's Notch Nordic Center for three hours of up hill and down Sunday morning. In a lovely little snowstorm, among trees already well-coated in snow.
I came away thinking I ought to be able to come up with Shino glazes that carbon-trapped in images vaguely reminiscent of a snow-filled winter forest. Wonder how that would work?
Back to glazing ...

11 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Beautiful snaps!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Trace.

ang design said...

i kinda think your glaze apps looks like the forest Hollis..

cookingwithgas said...

gosh that is so pretty!
But really from afar.
We are suppose to have more snow tomorrow.
Really this is all a bit silly to me.
Let's get this over with and then I would like to see some GREEN glazes coming!

Hollis Engley said...

you may be right, Ang. And Meredith, I'm with you on the green.

maria said...

Hola Hollis,

These photos are very beautiful. I think that the last vase already resembles it a bit, the atmosphere of pleasant mystery.

Paul Jessop said...

God that looks cold!!!.
Time for a nice warm coffee from your lovely mug.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Maria. I'm seeing the similarity between the carbon-trapped Shinos and that kind of textured landscape. And yes, Paul, it was a cold forest. Hot coffee was called for.

cindy shake said...

I was thinking your last post of that pot looked very similar! Maybe the difference could be adding a splash of golden leaf color -but I thought you had managed to capture the look and feel beautifully. Lovely, images that are indeed inspiring.

Hollis Engley said...

Cindy, you must get a lot of that kind of thing up your way.

Marcus said...

I love this idea.

That shino pot in the previous post is gorgeous, too. Love the texture.