Friday, February 12, 2010

Powerless kiln-opening





I opened the kiln yesterday morning in the dark. More or less. There was no power here in Hatchville, after the big wind and heavy snow took out several electrical poles on Route 151 nearby. We were without electricity for about 24 hours, which is fine during the day (sort of), but makes things kind of dark after the sun goes down. Oh, and cold. And computerless. So I'm a day late getting these new pots up on the blog.
This was a good firing, with lots of carbon-trapping in all the right places and some good results among nine or ten new glazes I was testing. I'll post a photo of that in a day or so.
Lots of squared bottles in this firing, mostly of them in Shino, but with a fair amount of crackle slip underneath. Also, a new batch of ash glaze, made entirely with our friend Mie's woodstove ash. The brown stoneware vases with white slip brushed underneath the ash did well. My pots are getting darker, for some reason. Winter, maybe. But I seem to be glazing things in either complex, random patterns under carbon-trap Shino or on brown stoneware with white slip that barely shows through the dark, greenish ash glaze. Hmmmmm ...
Maybe I should do more copper red, eh, Finnegan?

13 comments:

Chris C. said...

Hollis -- would you be willing to share your crackle slip recipe?

Thanks -- Chris

Hannah said...

I like the tenmoku mug in the middle there. A bit of a sucker for that glaze but don't tell anyone, they'll throuw me out of the slipware gang, it's tantamount to treason saying that I think.
h

Dan Finnegan said...

Anything but that!!!

Hollis Engley said...

Hi, Hannah. I've been a temmoku fan since I used a Warren McKenzie teabowl at my teacher Dennis Davis's house many years ago. Not always easy to sell, but I sure do like it.
Sure, Chris. This recipe is uncredited in my glaze notebook, but might have come from Dan Finnegan.
CRACKLE WHITE SLIP
Borax 50g
Zircopax 50g
G200 spar (or Kona F4) 200g
OM-4 ball clay 150g
Calcined EPK or Grolleg 150
EPK 150
Flint (Silica, quartz) 150
This will crackle for maybe 36 hours before the effect of the borax wears off, so I never mix great quantities of it. However, it works just fine after that as a plain white slip.

brandon phillips said...

hollis-i love your tenmoku...since you seem to be in a giving mood would you want to share it?

Tracey Broome said...

I'm with everyone else on that tenmoku mug, but I won't ask for it, since you have shared a plenty with us! I think Brandon should have it since his Monday was so rough:)
definitely a winter palette but very nice! More snow coming, arghhhh.

Barry said...

Amazing what a 1/2 mile or so can do, Hollis. We got ours back at about 5:30 am Thursday. The colors from the electrical sparks were amazing and later on when I was out shoveling there was lightning. Nice.

Pots look great. Have to get up there soon to poke around.

Hollis Engley said...

I looked for Gerry on the floor of the stadium, Tracey, but he must be lost in the paper snow. Great show, though. Barry, I don't know how this electrical thing works around here, but you got power a whole lot sooner than we did.
Brandon, here's the tenmoku recipe. It came from my friend Angela Rose, who I think got it from her days in the studio at Maine College of Art.

HAMADA TEMMOKU
Custer Spar (Potash) 3375
Whiting 1275
Zinc Ox 165
EPK 982.5
Flint 1702.5
Red Iron Ox 750
Bentonite 150

Amy said...

wow! great results. The mugs in the last picture are my favorite. Hope the power stays on!

doug Fitch said...

Lovely pots Hollis

cindy shake said...

The colors are WONDERFUL! Reminds me of a coastal winter storm, yet there is a warmth to each piece, just lovely.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, all. A good firing. Now to turn right around and see if I can do another in the next few days. Just got back from Brattleboro, Vermont, where we visited Dee's cousin Sue and saw great ski-jumping at Harris Hill. For you Brits, that's a hill that Eddie the Eagle jumped some years ago.

imagine said...

That top group aren't pots, they are sculpture,
and very beautiful.
Move here, England needs you.