Thursday, February 3, 2011

Further teabowl information from Thailand


I received this today from John Toomey in Thailand, about the two teabowls he bought from me last year. John gave the teabowls their names:

Hollis: You are too modest. Your readers should know that my tea teacher in Yokohama, Japan, highly praised both of these bowls when I sent her the pictures and that my guests for New Year's Tea for Year of the Rabbit (including Korean, Japanese, Thai, and Chinese tea masters) found both your "Snowy Rabbit" Tea Bowl and your "Evening Cherry Blossoms" (aka "Octopus") Tea Bowl stunning in combination with the very rarely used utensils of formal palace drawing room tea of the 14th century. I can hardly wait to see how they will blend with rustic wabi-cha utensils when the formal period is over after today's Chinese Lunar New Year and we get back to Zen-style tea. Your bowls, I think, will fit the requirement of the 15th century master Murata Shuko that utensils have the quality of "chill" and "withered", expressing the inner essence of true beauty that we still idealize in rustic wabi-cha today. (You can find all this on the internet.)

Of course, there is every reason for people to use the bowls as they wish, the more often the better--for snacks, dips, soups, floating flowers and candles, coffee, incense burners, whatever they like. Just hold them in you hands and experience peace and comfort like only fine down-to-earth pottery can give.

John Toomey Sofu (Ura Senke Tea name)


8 comments:

Barry said...

Proud to be having my coffee in Hatchville Pottery as I type this.

You are too modest. But I like that. ;)

Tracey Broome said...

I'm having my long time pottery mentor over for lunch today and I already have your tea bowls out. She is a tea bowl expert and will love them I'm sure! I just read this post to Gerry, who is having to share his tea bowl today with our guest :)

janet said...

And I just finished warming my hands around one of your beautiful wood fired tea bowls - this series of blogs and comments have been heartwarming - I don't want to sound too precious but I do think that these sentiments are truly why we non potters need your (all of you) pots in our lives

Tracey Broome said...

Janet, I loved your post!!! I came back over to say something else, but read your post and the thought left my head, oh well, nicely said!!

cookingwithgas said...

what Janet said- when it works it works.
As a friend of mine says these are spot on.
Lovely!

ang design said...

high praise indeed hollis...you in the shino groove?i'm dying to get a kiln cranking but alas....mine is still in pieces...all broken apart and awaiting all its new bits :)) I'll have to make the club kiln dance for me!!....

Dennis Allen said...

That should keep you happy for a while!

Unknown said...

As a long time friend of John Toomey I had the pleasure of drinking tea from from your "Octopus" bowl. Your bowls added a beautiful touch to the ceremony and was commented on by many of those in attendance. John's tea ceremonies are well known among many in the Bangkok area and invitations to tea are at his tea room are coveted. Hope to see more of your beautiful work here soon.