Friday, February 18, 2011

Nausika Richardson 1942-2011




Nausika Richardson, a wonderful majolica potter from Dixon, N.M., has died. I met Nausika nearly 30 years ago, when I was a news photographer for the Santa Fe New Mexican and she was a 38-year-old potter living in the tiny village of Dixon, in the Rio Embudo Valley north of Santa Fe. Nausika was one of the founders of the annual Dixon Studio Tour, held in November, and I was in her studio with a reporter to photograph her and her work for a pre-Tour story.
It was long before I wanted to make pots, but not before I wanted to own them. I bought a plate and a serving bowl that day, which we still use in our kitchen here on Cape Cod.
Nausika was a lovely and gracious woman. I've often thought we would drive up to Dixon to visit her the next time we were in New Mexico. Won't happen now. The image I've posted of her is the best I could find online. She was 68 when she died.
Here's a link to the Dixon Studio Tour, with some of her pots.
http://www.dixonarts.org/listofartists/artistpages/Richardson/home.htm

1 comment:

Linda Starr said...

Sad to loose such a potter and so young, the top fish plate is absolutely wonderful.