Monday, September 19, 2011

Competing with Fairy Princess Halos ...





Well ... not really competing. I'm guessing that the young parents with little girls who seemed to swarm around the display of beribboned haloes at the Harwich Cranberry Festival last weekend would be unlikely to also go for a layered Shino teabowl. Just a guess on my part ...
It was a bit dismaying to be on the same aisle as the haloes when I set up Saturday, but I grew to appreciate the diversion of seeing little girls try on the ribbons and then march off through the craft fair with them. And, to be completely fair, these items were personally made (along with stuffed frogs and magic wands) by the women in the booth. I saw them making them as the show went on.
The pottery buyers found me, though, and it was a pretty good show on a cool but pretty Cape Cod weekend. I sold some good pots and made some money, which is a large part of the whole point. I continue to be fascinated by the things people touch when they come into my booth. There were six chowder or chile bowls on one table, and a hundred people over the two days must have picked up the bowls and showed them to a wife or husband or significant other. No one ... that is, not one person ... bought one. On the mug shelf, one Shino mug and one crackle-slip-amber-glaze mug were handled an equal number of times. I still have both. It's remarkable how people in a crowd seem to latch onto one or two things as visually interesting, but not something they want to purchase. I don't get it.
But many other things found new homes, including some very nice layered Shino pots. Who knew you could sell crackled and crawled Shino on Cape Cod? Next up, in mid-October, the last show of the season - the Wellfleet OysterFest.
Photos: One boy, with a bacon-and-egg skull and bones shirt, who did not go for the Fairy Princess Haloes; four funky squared Shino bottles, two of which found buyers; much handled but not purchased mugs; ditto on the chowder bowls.

11 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

Boy do I understand.2 weeks ago I spent my Sunday next to the stuff on a stick guy,Painted tobacco sticks with scarecrows etc on them. He sold a ton and won the best booth award.I did ok but it was still disheartening.

Tracey Broome said...

If I had picked up the shino mug in the photo, it would have gone home with me! I have you and Dennis beat, I did HOG DAYS and my neighbor on one side was spray painting personalized toilet seat covers and the other neighbor had cookie trays with metallic healing bracelets mounted on them. I made less than $50 that day, but the bracelets and toilet seats had brisk sales. I almost decided not to be a potter anymore that day :)
I guess it keeps us humble, right? Glad you had good sales, makes it sort of worth the effort at those festivals.

Dan Finnegan said...

Those bottles are gnarly! In the best of ways...

cookingwithgas said...

now see if I had open those packed bins I might have taken one of those pots home!
I am happy it turned into a good show and good for you that they are buying your work- it should fit right in at the Cape.
at least in my brain it does.
Miss you, Dee and the coffee club bunch.
Oh and the kittiesand your good cooking!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, friends. Yes, Tracey, I'd say you've beaten us all. I love a good personalized toilet seat cover ...
Meredith, we had cheese grits with garlic, country ham and peas tonight, with one of the dwindling supply of tomatoes in a salad. Mark was with me when our friend Kathy gave me that bag of tomatoes.

Linda Starr said...

Those bottles are wonderful

Michèle Hastings said...

i guess we have all done those shows... i was at a small potters market once and had mostly wood fired & shino pots, my neighbor had inexpensive bright colored tiles with cheesy "inspirational" quotes pressed into them. she made a killing... and i barely covered the cost of the show.

ang design said...

your crackled shino rocks big time!!!

Marcus said...

Wow, love those chowder bowls. If you ever let me pay for anything, I'd buy them. :)

MVBLH said...

Those funky square Shinos…I'm in lust!

yolande clark said...

those bottles are divine. Love them. c