Thursday, September 29, 2011

A Shino-heavy firing ...





I squeezed in a firing yesterday, a couple of days before we head to Maine for a brief visit. I need more pots for the Wellfleet OysterFest show Oct. 15-16, and I wanted a few more squared bottles, a bunch of serving bowls and more mugs.
I was careful to keep the temperature to only a bit more than cone 10. Things got away from me a couple of weeks ago and I produced a record amount of ash glaze running off the pots. This firing was heavy on Shinos, which I know won't run. And things worked out pretty well. I'll post some photos. All for now.
Except ... let me give you some sizes for these pots. The shallow bowls at top are about six inches across, more or less; the vase with the finger swipes is about ten inches tall; the larger serving bowls are about nine inches across; and the taller bottles are perhaps eight to nine inches tall.

8 comments:

gz said...

I like the bottles

Tracey Broome said...

LOVING those plates in the first photo!!!!!!!! Looks like a great firing. Every time you post firing photos I want a kiln I can use for shinos :)

Hollis Engley said...

I like the bottles, too. Come on up and fire in this one some time, Tracey.

ang design said...

oh you know i love em!!!!! very cool pieces hollis you gotta have a smile on your face :)) I'm firing on monday!!

cookingwithgas said...

Oh Yea! Great looking fire- I am very fond of the bottles. They will find good homes.

June Perry said...

Very nice - makes me want to do an all shino firing in my small gas kiln one of these days. First I need to get a couple of soda firings out of the way.

Michèle Hastings said...

beautiful shino! love the bowls

Amy said...

shines are just among the best glazes out there...