Saturday, September 24, 2011

Damp, damp, damp ...






I swear, the small low bowls I threw 48 hours ago are still more or less as wet as they were on Thursday. And the brown stoneware and B-Mix mugs are still way more damp than they should be after three days of sitting out in the studio. It's been a warm, wet and humid week here on Cape Cod, after a cool weekend. My plan is to fire next week, probably Wednesday, but the chances of that happening are reduced with every passing hour of rain and/or humidity.
Whine, whine, whine ... I'm trying to get a fresh batch of serving bowls, squared bottles and mugs for the Wellfleet OysterFest show in mid-October and thought I'd have them fired weeks ahead. Think again ...
The top photo is of the big pan of paella we cooked one night last week when Meredith and Mark Heywood were visiting from North Carolina and our friends Henry and Louise were here from the UK. A great gathering of friends, with really good food.

9 comments:

Michèle Hastings said...

that paella looks wonderful!
i know what you mean about the damp weather... sometimes when it has been really humid here in NC, we have resorted to bringing ware boards in the house and running the AC or a dehumidifier to get things drying.

Anna M. Branner said...

Yup, damp here too and I have a show next weekend. (whining here also..) I even have AC in my studio and things still are slow to dry!!

MH said...

Knowing that pan full of paella is long gone I won't be heading to the airport..... Hollis you are the paella king. Great bottles in the dark clay.

MH said...

Wait a minute... now we get directions? There better be paella.

Dan Finnegan said...

Being the contrarian that I am, may I put in a word for the joys of damp weather. I love the (rather English) pace to throwing LOTS of pots and finishing them as they slowly get 'ripe'. This is such a contrast to chasing plastic and feverishly trying to beat the drying.
I love the rims of those bottles.

cookingwithgas said...

those are some mighty fine bottles and I wil long cherish the food and fun at the cape- now to check on Mark to see if he booked a flight...

Dennis Allen said...

Damp, dreary, and slow sales in Ohio.Might be time to give those pots a torching.

Tracey Broome said...

I'm on the fence with this one, I sort of agree with Dan about the slower pace to drying as opposed to those 100 degree days when I would just turn around and my slabs were dry. However, I rolled out slabs three days ago and still can't use them! There's a fine line I suppose. Eating paella while waiting for clay to dry could be the cure though :)

Hollis Engley said...

Come on up, Tracey. Paella next time.