Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pottery friends in 2012

Studio pottery can be a lonely job. Or, at least, a solitary job.
Most of us work in our own spaces, removed from the rest of the community unless a buyer comes by or another potter needs a break from her work or we choose to go into town to the coffee shop or the grocery store. That's certainly the case with me. And I mostly like it that way.
But we can't get along without friends - for conversation, bitching about craft shows, problem-solving, borrowing of essential glaze ingredients (I still owe Denny Howard a few pounds of OM4), planning of regional clay shows, any number of things. We support each other, whether we realize it or not.
So here are some images of a few of my potter friends here on Cape Cod. These are not all of them, just some that I have photos of. I'm leaving out Ron Geering, Ron Dean, Diane Heart, Anne Halpin, Ann Newbury, Lois Hirshberg, Jim Irvine, Sue Wadoski, Sarah Caruso and others.
The photos: Denny Howard of Howard Pottery in Sagamore, demonstrating for a friend; Tessa Morgan of Flying Pig Pottery in Woods Hole, glazing; Kim Medeiros, my woodfiring partner, decorating (please note the Frida Kahlo earrings); Gail Turner of Millstone Pottery in Brewster, stoking in Truro; Shelley Fenily of Falmouth, left, with her partner Natalie Mariano; Brian Taylor of Truro Center for the Arts at Castle Hill, loading the art center's train kiln this past fall.









13 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

ipscrWe gotta have friends, especially us studio artists!

Tracey Broome said...

I have no idea why those letters are there before my comment?! blogger, grrr. :)

Hollis Engley said...

I thought "ipscr" was your way of disguising some really really bad North Carolina expletive, Tracey ...

Kimberly Medeiros said...

I was just reading about Frida today.I miss my summer tan,but maybe Maui will take care of that?Hollis, so happy to be able to commiserate and collaborate with YOU!

gz said...

Good to have friends, and virtual ones are needed too, you send us inspiration and keep us going online too.

Keep on potting!!

Hollis Engley said...

I'm a fan of the virtual onesm, too. We all help each other.

Hollis Engley said...

And, Kim, I think Maui will help the tan. Come back with ideas. We have work to do.

Sandy Miller said...

Quite a community of potters you have there! My community is in cyberspace as the only other potters are over an hour away. Have enjoyed your postings and pots! Dry wood and hot kilns to you Hollis! Thanks!

ang design said...

such a great rew Hollis, hi to Anne

Paul Jessop said...

ipscrHappy New Year to you Hollis, I must admit i find the best part of the year is when Barrington court is closed to the public and I feel as if I have the workshop to myself. I love potting on my own in my own space. notice I've put Tracey's secret code in just in case.

Hollis Engley said...

Yes, Paul, ipscr to everyone as we end the year.

Hannah said...

Nice to see so many familiar faces there Hollis. Friends, yes where would we be without them?
My workshop I think will feel extra lonely in the new year but I know I have a lot of good friends out there.

Hollis Engley said...

You have many, many good friends out here in the world, Hannah. Why would you not?