Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Goofy photo of a serious woodfirer

A few years ago, I drove down to Fredericksburg, Va., to help Dan Finnegan and his friend Toff Milway fire Dan's two-chamber wood kiln. It was a good firing, with many, many wonderful Finnegan pots, and much tea and many biscuits and help from Dan's good friends.
Dan's about to load his kiln now, probably the last firing for a few months. He'll be teaching at Penland in North Carolina, then in late spring he'll help my friend Kim Medeiros and me build our wood kiln.
Going through photos today, I found a fairly goofy photo of Dan brandishing a burning stick ... for something. Perhaps getting the firing going early in the morning.
Good luck with the firing, Dan.


2 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

Where did that black beard go?

cookingwithgas said...

good thing you do not smoke! what a beard!
And it went the same place my dark brown hair went.... we are a sea of gray these days