Thursday, February 14, 2013

New bowls from the kiln; pots in a new book

I did a glaze firing Tuesday, delayed by a day because a cone pack exploded at the top and I - fortunately - spotted the clay grenade fragments relatively early on in the firing. So I shut it down, let it cool, then went in and cleaned out the debris. This was a clean-up firing, using up as many of my bisqued bowls as I could, along with bowls from friends Sue Wadoski, Sarah Caruso and a platter from Kim Medeiros.
It was a good firing, with more faceted and stretched Shino bowls from me, continuing my exploration of that process. The Sheffield T3 clay body reacts very well to the three or four Shinos in my studio. I am abandoning B-Mix, at least temporarily, to concentrate on the more reactive T3 for a white stoneware body. But now I have to get a shipment from Sheffield, or travel to western Mass. in the pickup to fetch a load.
In other news, British writer and potter Linda Bloomfield's new book, "Contemporary Tableware" (Bloomsbury and the American Ceramic Society), has been published, with some of my teabowls in it. She kindly sent me an email today telling me about the book and including a link to one of the first reviews. Here's the link.
http://www.thedesigntrust.co.uk/book-review-contemporary-tableware-by-linda-bloomfield/
The photos: Top, a two-page spread from "Contemporary Tableware"; hakeme small plate with Dan Finnegan's amber ash glaze; faceted Shino bowl; faceted Shino bowl; small faceted Shino bowl with blue glass runs.







5 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

nice pots and congratulations on the book.

Chris said...

Your new bowls remind me of shells--lovely.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a road trip is in your near future! Love the bowls- just want to hold them. Congrats on the book :)

claydancer said...

Beautiful work! I hope too meet you soon. I will be moving to New Bedford this summer for grad studies at UMass D:)

ang design said...

sweeet glazing Hollis!