Wednesday, November 25, 2009

This one was a "quiet firing"







Dee and I and our friend Donna Sutherland openend and emptied the kiln this morning. Someone described this as "a quiet firing." It was that, actually, with a fair amount of white Shino on white stoneware. Not a lot of golden brown Shino fireworks, though there was some, and there were the inevitable few copper reds to liven up things.
I remain excited about these faceted and pushed-out bowls, both the teabowls and larger serving bowls. The process of cutting the thick clay walls after a couple of pulls creates an uneven thickness in the walls and results in a randomness in the rim that I like. These bowls can be taken right to the edge of collapse and produce a lively and seemingly precarious pot. I've been doing this for a few months now ... maybe I should only make teabowls and smallish serving bowls and forget the teapots and big jugs and plates. Though I guess it would be helpful to know there's a market for such things.
This weekend, after Thanksgiving Day, I'll be headed to New Bedford for the three-day Hatch St. Open Studios sale. Two floors in an old factory of artists of all kinds. I occupy a space in Mike Pietragalla's furniture studio. This will be, I think, the fourth year I've done the show.
Also in the photographs here: Three small bowls made and glazed by Alli Connolly, the intern who works with me; two handbuilt vases by Marstons Mills potter Lois Hirshberg and a nice little Shino bowl by Shelley Fenily. Both are friends and fellow members of the Cape Cod Potters.

11 comments:

ang design said...

yeah....! good stuff, love the facetted pieces espec. the 1st pic...very nice..

Tracey Broome said...

The pieces are quiet in a way, but a good way. I think those bowls are just the best. I am drinking from my new cup every day and finding new things about it each time. I think that "the public" needs to understand how wonderful it can be to drink from a cup like yours, there definitely needs to be more like them out there in the world!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Ang and Tracey. The firing had a different feel, but was full of good pots.

Ron said...

Nice pots Hollis. I love your shinos, and faceted teabowls have always been my favorite. I learned that cut and throw technique from Mary Law.

Dan Finnegan said...

Teabowls... bah humbug!!! (actually, quite nice...)

doug Fitch said...

sweet pots Hollis

MVBLH said...

lovely, lovely!

Hollis Engley said...

Thank you, Brenda. And I found a samuai book for Cullen in New Bedford yesterday. It's in my truck. Remind me when you see me.

Anonymous said...

beautiful pieces all the way round... lovely glazes

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Jim. A pretty good firing.

Joan Limbrick said...

I have two of your tea bowls that I bought from your show at Liberty Town in Fredericksburg, Va. I love using them and they are out, waiting for tea, for all to see. I love them.