Tuesday, May 11, 2010

New gallery is coming together





I've begun putting up shelves in the new upstairs gallery space and have moved a few pots up there. The bright white walls and the abundant sunlight do a pretty good job of lighting up the pots. I think I may have to put in a spot or two for a couple of the locations, which I think could use a bit more light. Still, the area is what Hemingway called "a clean, well-lighted room."
My idea for this space is to accommodate the three or four particularly special pots that seem to come out of each firing. I'm generally happy with my pots and never sell anything I think isn't up to my standards, but we all know that there are times in reduction firing, especially in Shino firing, that some pots stand out above the others. Those are the ones I want to be in this gallery.
I've got shelves on a couple of walls and am using a worn old dropleaf table that was our dining room table 35 years ago. I like that worn wood look. I've got to get another table up there and then use the wall space for a few prints. But that will all come together. Just thought blog readers might like a look at the way it's coming.
Also, I got my annual supply of Cape Cod Potters brochures this week. I have thousands, so anyone who would like to have one (or more than one) let me know and I'll put it in the mail.
Meanwhile, here's a photo of the cover. That jug in the lower left is mine, which makes this brochure maybe the third time this particular jug is displayed prominently. It's been in two Cape museum shows in the past two years. Which means either that it's a nice jug or I have only made one decent pot in that time.

19 comments:

Tumblestack said...

Gorgeous pots! And they look so at home in the space. Would love to see them in the real!
cheers

http://rosebauer-tumblestack.blogspot.com/

imagine said...

That looks like the same jug on your table, or does that mean you have made two good pots?
It all looks really good, it's amazing how the simple
background really sets the pots off and doesn't distract from the simple beauty of them. I wish I was passing so that I could have a look.

Hollis Engley said...

Well, come by some time, John. That is indeed the same pot. I've held it out, but thought I could put it in this space and at least let it stand out until someone wants to spend some money.
Thanks, Rose. I think the simple surroundings show pots off best. Either that or a dinner table.

cindy shake said...

Beautiful cover on the new brochures! You work looks wonderful in the new space.

Tracey Broome said...

Great forms just need a little sunlight and some clean white walls to show their true beauty! The space looks great. Motivation for me to get a studio together one of these days, for sure!

Hollis Engley said...

Thank you, Cindy and Tracey. The space is maybe halfway there. Gotta put up some prints on the walls this afternoon. One of these days I'll make some new pots. And Tracey (and anyone else interested) take a look at the Pantengliopolis blog that's in the roll of blogs on my own. That's our son Marcus's blog and there's a great new video of his and his friends' backcountry ski trip to British Columbia a couple of weeks ago. Marcus is the bearded boy whose the first one pictured in the film. Anastasia is his wife.

maria said...

Really very beautiful your new gallery, your pottery sees very beautiful.

Hollis Engley said...

Mil gracias, Maria. And how is Barcelona in May?

cookingwithgas said...

Looks great! I know it must feel great as well- I hope all your pots deserve the space.

ang design said...

wow stunning hollis.. love the setup, love the pots..! you're on my must see list now!

Mr. Young said...

I would love to have a couple of the brochures, one for me and one for my ceramics class.
One of these years, I will have to do a road trip while in the states. I would love to see some of the potters that I see in the blogs!
Your gallery space is very nice, with an open airy feel to it. It will be a great space to display those "special" pieces!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Meredith. I hope for the same thing every time. Angela, visit any time you're in the neighborhood. You can stay in the guest space next to the pots. Or downstairs near the bathroom. Your choice. Same with you, Meredith.
Mr. Young, e-mail me a snail mail address for you and a packet of Cape Cod Potters brochures will be off to Guam. Glad to do it. I'm at hatchvillepottery@comcast.net.

Dan Finnegan said...

Looks like my recent nemisis, carbon trapping, is the theme for your favorite pots. Being a man who knew that room 'before', you've both done wonders. Congratulations on a project you've had on the list for a while.

Hollis Engley said...

We do love carbon here on Cape Cod, Daniel. Thanks, the room looks and feels great. And there's room for you to sleep the next time you're here.

janet said...

Hard to believe those beautiful pots could look any better - but they do.

Hollis Engley said...

Thank you, Janet.

Linda Starr said...

Your pots look great and so does your new space.

Paul Jessop said...

Hollis I love the look of the new gallery space, what a fantastic space. don't worry about the one good pot, if you look at all the leach stuff I reckon he made about 6 good pots in his life time.

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Paul, happy to be compared to Leach in most ways. Now I have to make five more good ones.