Friday, May 7, 2010

New gallery space, cleaned up, ready for pots





We've been painting the space over my studio for the past month or so, off and on, and I spent a couple of days ripping up the rose-colored wall-to-wall carpet and loading it into my pickup. Last Friday, Mike and Tammy Race came over and helped me get the floor down. Mike's a builder and owns (and knows how to use) a gazillion power saws. Tammy knows how to put down flooring. So, in about three hours, we had the floor laid. It's a Pergo floor that looks just like a light oak flooring and goes down like a jigsaw puzzle with only right angles. I finished off floor where it meets the wall, with painted quarter-round molding. (Now, if anyone has any bright ideas about how to get the radiator cover back on the radiator, I'm listening ... )
For the moment, wooden Japanese screens divide the room. The end nearest the stairway (bottom two images) will be the gallery and the far half of the room (top two images) remains a guest space and work room. The rough barnboard of the room was stained a dark gray-brown, so we put on several coats of white sealer and finish paint, which brightened up the room considerably. It already has lots of windows, so there's a lot of light in there now.
Next step is to build and install the shelves and tables that will hold the pots.
This gallery will be an understated part of our home and I don't expect everyone who comes here to go up to it. For one thing, you have to enter through my studio, which is only open when I am here on the property. The current shed gallery, behind our house, will continue to have the majority of my pots and will be open every day, whether I'm here or away from the house. This new space will be for the best pieces that come from the kiln, and they will be priced that way.
Now, to build the shelves and make more pots.
Oh, and some family history - the big framed portrait is my great-great-grandfather Hiram Jackson, who emigrated here from the English industrial Midlands late in the 19th century and worked in the mills of New Bedford, later settling on the tiny island of Cuttyhunk, which is not far from here. Hiram was a member of a local lifesaving crew on the island. He died in 1893 with five other men when their lifeboat overturned in the waves of a gale as they tried to rescue people from the grounded sailing ship Aquatic, which was on Sow and Pigs Reef offshore. More than you want to know, perhaps, but our son Marcus and daughter-in-law Anastasia, who work in backcountry search and rescue near Seattle, might want to hear that they're carrying on a family tradition.

11 comments:

Hannah said...

Very snazzy, I like it.

Anna M. Branner said...

It really looks nice. And so much brighter! So, where DID those boxes end up? :)

gz said...

It must be ready....look at the cat!!

Hollis Engley said...

This time of year, any open and screened window is an invitation to Niko (in the photos) and his brother Blanco to jump up and survey the yard and growl at the bunnies. The boxes ... ummmm ... one is in our bedroom ... the other is somewhere around here. Probably in the cellar. Thanks, Hannah, now we'll get some shelves in and then some pots.

Tracey Broome said...

the space looks so great. I think I would want to put an easel up there and paint! That is if I could paint:)
Good job, well worth the effort!!
When I was a designer the first thing I did in every space I went in to was to peek under the carpet for hardwood floors. Why on Earth was carpet invented anyway, wood floors are so beautiful.

Hollis Engley said...

You're right, Trace. And they hold up the pedestals and pots much better than carpet.

cookingwithgas said...

spectacular!
Beautiful space and well worth the pottery you will grace it with!
We use to have a space upstairs in our house before we built an outside studio.
You had to park, walk a path around the house, come in the basement and go up the stairs.
We still have customers who love to talk about the trip upstairs to see pots- back in 1982,83 and 84-
I am sure you will get a lot of folks who will go up there- I know I would!

Kellie said...

Looks great Hollis! I just finished laying some Ikea laminate in our soon-to-be nursery, so I know all about that fun! Can't help you on the radiator cover though.

I think that space looks like a prime knitting spot for Dee. :)

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Meredith. It will be a bit of a trip through the messy studio and up the stairs for a visitor, but I think it will be worth it. And yes, Kellie, Dee thinks she'll use the couch in the "guest room" space to knit and read. The cats already occupy it.

ang design said...

and well worth having the 'time off' to do hollis the space looks great! I really like the concept of it being for the best pieces, totally cool!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Ang. We'll see how it works out.