Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Another plug for Studio Potter




Those of you who follow this blog and several others from various continents probably know about the "Clay and Blogs: Telling a Story" show that opens in Southern Pines, NC, on Oct. 1. For those of you who don't, it's worth looking at the current Studio Potter magazine for "Virtual Community," the piece I wrote with Meredith Heywood's help about the clay-blogging phenomenon. (A version of the story is posted down the page on this blog; the journal website is www.studiopottery.org.) The whole issue is a good one, in fact, with a particularly personal piece by Yolande Clarke, a New Brunswick, Canada, woman who fires a backwoods anagama with her husband Lee and young son Horus. (They just finished one of their twice-a-year firings, in fact. Check out their blog, burntnormal.blogspot.com, on the right.)
Ever since I found their blog, I've particularly admired the roughly-shaped Buddhas and other figures fired in their kilns, often glazed in Shino. Above are a few photos borrowed from their blog. The current firing is populated by a vast number of these figures and it will be worth checking their blog to see what the kiln looks like with the fired work in it. Meanwhile, a glimpse ...

4 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

I follow Yolande's blog and those two are nuts! But really they are amazing. I would never have the energy to fire the way they are firing right now. I love her writing and that little son Horus is the very cutest thing ever! I was happy to see her article in SP, very nice.

ang design said...

ahh yes i have been checking out the firing this time and cant wait!!

mudheartpottery said...

I too follow Yolande's great blog and marvel at their resilience. I can't wait to see the beautiful sculptures after the 10 days of flames.

Monique said...

I have also been following them and they are truly amazing.
Can't wait to see the sculptures emerge form the fire....