Friday, August 20, 2010

Day 1, Chatham Festival of the Arts




Chase Park in Chatham was a busy place today. Lots of walkers and strollers and lookers and conversations ... and a few buyers. Not a complaint, that. Just observation. Some good pots went off the shelves and home with nice people willing to part with real American dollars for mugs, bowls, teabowls, vases and plates. Not a bad day, financewise.
And I have weaver Carol Clay (Greensboro, N.C.) on my left with her partner Mac and painter Oana Lauric (Portland, ME) on my right. Two high-quality makers and very nice people. Helps make the mid-day lull more tolerable.
Oana took the photo of me under my tent. Who would buy a pot from a guy who looks that excited about life??? Another photo looking down the row of tents in the park, then one of my pots backed by Oana's much more exciting paintings.
Still two days left. Come on down.

11 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Great photos, I love that top one! Your set up looks very nice, how lucky to have those paintings for a backdrop, so complementary to your work. looks like a lovely place for a show, not a bad way to spend the weekend, smile...........

cookingwithgas said...

Great shot of you and the set up-I hope for more good sells.
I will have to look up the weaver from Greensboro-right up the road from here.
someone once told me that he would smiles sells pots!
so as TB says...smile

cookingwithgas said...

that would be:
He who smile sells pots!
Geez-

Hollis Engley said...

Thank you, my friends. I smile pretty well when someone's in the tent. But after spending years on the backside of a camera, I really am not comfortable in front. You should have seen the other two shots ...

Dan Finnegan said...

Ah, the potter as curmudgeon...I love that photo!

Monique said...

What a treat to see so many of your pots lined up like this! Beautiful!
Wish I could pick them up and feel them.... :-)

Chrissy Ann Ceramics said...

Thanks for posting this! I have been meaning to go down the past few years & missed it. Maybe I'll take the drive on this beautiful Saturday morning!

Your pots look great!

Best of luck!

Cheers,
Chrissy

S_crack said...

Nice looking work, Hollis, as tracey said, especially fetching against the paintings.
We get a lot of "walkers, talkers and gawkers" at our shows too, but who doesn't? Comes with the territory, I guess.
Fight the good fight!

Hollis Engley said...

I pasted on a big smile Saturday and plunged through the day that way. Whenever anyone asked, I said Tracey and Meredith said I should look like that. I don't know if it helped sales. Thanks, Dan, I do curmudgeon really, really well ...
And Chrissy Ann, where were you?

A.M said...

very impressive photos enriched with good content
want to improve your page rank
read
http://earning-onweb.blogspot.com/2010/08/top-ten-tips-to-improve-your-pagerank.html

janet said...

my dear curmudgeon friend - you are much more pleasant than you let on to be - damn, another year of missing the Chatham show and your charming mug.One of these years ... Fortunately i know where you and Dee live.