Friday, August 13, 2010

New pots, no tomatoes





It was a decent firing yesterday, with a couple of new glazes. Dan Finnegan will recognize the blue ash glaze here on the faceted bowl. It's his Runny Blue (or maybe Blue-Green) Ash, with about .5 percent cobalt carbonate and sifted hardwood ash from my sister-in-law Ellen's New York farmhouse woodstove.
I've been trying to come up with a blue glaze that I like, but which isn't that sorta scary cobalt blue that can be so popular. I like this one, which has just enough runniness at cone 10 that it threatens to leave the pot for the kiln shelf and just enough blue that it's ... well ... blue. I'm afraid it remains a potter's glaze rather than a buyer's glaze, but what the hell.
Lots of cups and mugs in this firing. About 40 cups and 20 or so bigger mugs. I've got a show in Chatham in a couple of weeks and I hate not to have drinking vessels. Also got two nice wedding gift mugs (the temmoku ones with copper red tops) out of the load, for our friends Mark and Terrie, who are being married Saturday evening down-Cape in West Barnstable. Our softball team is giving the bride away. Should be ... interesting.


14 comments:

Bert said...

Love that bowl!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Bert. Looks like you do something similar yourself.

mudheartpottery said...

I love those smaller cups - great glazes.

Bert said...

I have faceted and stretched out the form, but the results always strike me as to structured and not loose and flowing like yours. I'm always fighting the engineering part of my nature when I throw.lol Maybe one day I'll be able to overcome it and produce more lively pots.

cookingwithgas said...

those are some hot pots Hollis!
I love the way the bowl seems to flow with the glaze-great combo-even if it is blue.:)
about that baseball team and the bride- need more info!

ang design said...

oh yeh, you have me drooling again!!! love your cups!! :)) abfab...

ladyofclay said...

on my monitor there is enough green in that glaze not to be blue ! very nice
have you tried putting a smidge of RIO with the cobalt to tone it down ? that works in oxidation, not sure about redux.

Hannah said...

Hi Holis, the blue is great, blue often scares me witless but that's a good un. As for the stack of lovely cups, great picture great cups.

Monique said...

WOW!! I actually said that out loud when I saw the ashglaze! :-)
Beautiful, Beautiful cups.
And if that is a potters glaze and not so much a buyers glaze that would mean.... I'm a potter! Yeah! haha

StephanieTJLee said...

These are absolutely wonderful. Loving the cups :).

janet said...

I'm guessing you're wrong about it being just a potters' glaze. You are the master of understatement - I would have loved to have opened that kiln door!

Tracey Broome said...

Beautiful as always! I'm going to get to that Chatham Show one day. I really loved it the one time I visited there. Hope you have good weather, wasn't it crazy last year? or did I dream that?

yolande clark said...

Beautiful work Hollis! I love the bowl as well...And yes! A *lovely* blue (but of course, what do I--a potter--know?!) take care!

Ron said...

Love the facets and blue/green runny glaze Hollis. That's a beauty.