Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Splitting time between glaze and tomatoes




So that no one thinks I've given up pottery for the summer, the top photo on this post is the bottom shelf of the next firing. All glazed and wadded and ready to go. After this, I'll go back to the studio to work on getting the upper shelves glazed. For some reason, that lower two-shelf floor always takes forever. I plan on firing Thursday.
But in the meantime, the gardens' production keeps demanding attention. Tammy is cleaning out her produce for the next few days, as she and Mike take a bit of time off. So she sent me home today with two bags of greens - chard and mustard - and a gallon of lovely little San Marzano tomatoes. I put the tomatoes in the oven at 425, splashed with a bit of olive oil and salt. They roasted for about 45 minutes and are wonderful. (A before-and-after pair of photos is above.) I'm having a hard time not taking one each time I walk past the roasting pan. Soon enough, our own tomatoes will ripen in great quantities. Right now, the garden is a jungle of green tomatoes.
OK, back to glazing.

11 comments:

Tracey Broome said...

Nothing better than summer tomatoes is there! Wes and I have been canning tomatoes every Sunday morning this summer.

Hollis Engley said...

Nothing better, Tracey.

Linda Starr said...

I have never tried roasted tomatoes, those look so good, thanks for the tip

cookingwithgas said...

those are BEAUTIES!
And I would be eating one EVERY time I walked by them.
I don't think there is such a thing as too many tomatoes!
We are still eating them everyday!

Mr. Young said...

I cant decide what looks tastier... those glazed pots or the roasted tomatoes!

ang design said...

cant wait for fresh garden tommies...a new garden bed this year me thinks back to the old straw and fresh compost!!

janet said...

This picture really knocks me over - the bubbling brown against the red is all about fire and bursting flavor - I hope you ate several

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, all. yes, Janet, I ate several. I did worry that they'd all be gone before they could be used by both of us. That's a really, really good way to use overflowing beds of tomatoes. So in Australia those are "tommies," eh, Ang? I love that.

Monique said...

I'd be in a 'fight' with Meredith....... not once would I walk by without taking one. The look so tasty!
Can't wait to see some pictures of the fired pots too though..

Hannah said...

tommies here too, or toms depending how familiar you are with each other. They look flipping tasty though Hollis. Makes my mouth water.

Hollis Engley said...

They are REALLY good, Hannah. Them tommies, I mean ...