Thursday, October 7, 2010

More Seagrove potters and kilns





I've got a lot of images from our Seagrove tour last weekend. I'm going to post more tomorrow, as well as, perhaps, some shots of Dan Finnegan's Liberty Town art center. Meanwhile, here's what I've posted today:
- One hanging jug at Johnston and Gentithes Art Pottery.
- The Shigaraki-style anagama and noborigama of Takuro and Hitomi Shibata.
- Ken Shibata, long-distance stoking of his parents' kiln.
- A magnificent serving tray by Bruce Gohlson of Bulldog Pottery, hanging in the "Clay and Blogs" show in Southern Pines.
- Big covered jars in the "museum" portion of Ben Owen's pottery shop.

9 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

I'm really enjoying this armchair tour of Seagrove!

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, Anna. Coming up will be the video tour of the "Clay and Blogs" show, if I can figure out how to get it on the page.

Unknown said...

I agree with Anna...and will add Seagrove on my ever growing list of places I must get to!
Thanks for the beautiful photos.

-Kathy

Dan Finnegan said...

I, too, am grateful for your virtual tour Hollis. Can't help myself by saying....the handles on those big pots suck!

Hollis Engley said...

I don't actually know whose pots those are, Daniel. Can't say for sure they're Ben's, because there was a mix of historical work and his own in there. I'll post more images tomorrow.

Tracey Broome said...

Johnston and Gentithes is one of my favorite stops in Seagrove. Did you get to meet Fred? One of a kind, that one! I love their work!

Hollis Engley said...

Hi, Trace. No, they were away when we stopped in. Great stuff, though.

cookingwithgas said...

Hi Hollis- great shots and those are Ben's big pots/

Hollis Engley said...

I wondered, Meredith. They looked a bit too contemporary to be old ones. Thanks for the update.