Wednesday, October 20, 2010

New pots in the kitchen ...




I'm making pots again in the studio, after a couple of weeks away from the wheel. More on that later on. But I'm still thinking of our time in Virginia and North Carolina and my few days up in Vermont with Bob and Chris Compton.
Like potters everywhere, our kitchen cabinets and shelves are filled with pots by other people, as well as some of my own. But I think we got a late start on some of our potter friends and will never catch up to the size of their collections. Dan Finnegan's small house in Fredericksburg, Va., is practically a museum of pots from both sides of the Atlantic. Hard to believe he finds room for himself and his cat to move around in there, for all the pots on tables, shelves and in cabinets. Lovely pots, too. The same is true of Meredith and Mark Heywood, whose collection of other folks' pots is everywhere. (And is used, as all good pottery collections should be.)
In their Bristol, Vt., home, Chris and Bob Compton have hundreds of pots on display and in cabinets. Open a door to find a cereal bowl and you have no idea what cool thing you'll find. I ate a hasty breakfast one morning of granola, banana and yogurt out of a lovely celadon bowl by Yasuko Dower. The bowl was as nourishing as the food. It could take 20 minutes to choose the right plate from the rack in the kitchen.
I should have photographed all those collections, but I didn't. Instead, I thought I'd post a couple of photos of pots we acquired from the Comptons and the Heywoods, which now go into the cabinets and on the table. Beautiful and functional pieces we'll use for a long time.
Top: Tumblers and wine cups by Meredith and Mark Heywood, Whynot Pottery, Seagrove, NC. Next: Wood-fired plate with rolled rope central decoration, Robert Compton, Bristol, VT.
Bottom: The bottom of the same plate, showing the wad marks and the flame-flow during the firing.

9 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

Love those tumblers. And nothing beats the evidence of flame. It makes pottery even MORE alive. :)

Tracey Broome said...

I have the mugs to match those cups! It's nice to see someone else that loves opening their cabinets and choosing a great piece of pottery to use. I wrote about this on my blog one day and my sister in law makes fun of me every time she sees me. Of course she is eating from her department store dishes she got when she was first married, so much nicer I'm sure :)

cookingwithgas said...

hey- those look familiar!
I am still using my tea bowl of yours everyday!
And come back anytime there is more to see here.
we would even take Dee to see something other then pottery... I am not sure what but I could find something...

Hollis Engley said...

Thanks, guys. Coffee this morning from the temmoku tumbler. I'll put coffee in anything. Yes, Trace, those department store dishes have it all over handmade stuff. I mean, they're all EXACTLY alike. None of that scary differentness ...

Tracey Broome said...

I AM scary differentness!!!! That's probably why Gerry's sister makes fun of me, oh well, her loss!

Hollis Engley said...

Yeah, well, you scare ME, Tracey. But that's a good thing.

Lori Buff said...

I love the tumblers, the glaze is gorgeous. Do you stand in front of the cabinet trying to decide which cup you're going to use to drink your coffee? I do.

ang design said...

mmmm lovely stuff!!

Hollis Engley said...

I have favorites, Lori. Some that fit my hand better than others. Some that I really like, but which don't work for me as well as they might work for someone else. I can usually find something pretty quickly, though.