Monday, April 30, 2012

A blog-reader ... and new greenware

Gail Laughlin, a Pennsylvania potter and reader of a number of pottery blogs, turned up here yesterday with her son Scott. Gail has been here before, visiting Scott's home down-Cape from us, and she often buys pots. This time she was drawn by the Nuka teabowls that came out of the kiln last week. However, after looking at pots in the upstairs gallery, she took away two crackled Shino teabowls and two of the shallow Shino bowls with copper red pours on them that were also in last week's firing. Sometimes you have to have pots in your hands to decide what fits your needs and desires.
Gail also got to see the three Tracey Broome houses that we have here. Being a blog-reader, she knew about Tracey's wonderful work and wanted to get a sense of the houses' size first-hand. I think she was quite taken with them.




Meanwhile, the last few pots of the next firing have come off the wheel and are drying now. I needed about 20 mugs for the bottom shelf and I used up a bit of brown clay on a few teabowls, with feet cut into them that I have never done before. We'll see how this works out. Firing should happen late this week or early next.

8 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

I love meeting blog readers. I'm hoping that someday both of mine come to the same event.I like the mugs, your Finnegan is showing.

Hollis Engley said...

Yeah, Dennis, it's fun to meet people that way. Tell me what it is that looks like Dan.

Dennis Allen said...

Well Hollis, about the mugs, I can't quite put my finger on it. Oh wait let me use my thumb.

Tracey Broome said...

How fun that my houses got visitors! I forgot you have three of them! Let's see.... we have four teabowls and three bowls from your place, I'm sure I need to add more :)

Hollis Engley said...

Yes, Trace, you're ahead of me. I'll have catch up.
Dennis, we all adapt things from our teachers, don't we? If they work for us and fit with our pots.

Hollis Engley said...

Dan was my teacher for several years and I think a few things I do with my pots reflect that, as some of Dan's pots reflect Ray Finch. On the other hand, I make (and sell) lots of teabowls, a form Dan abhors. And I don't make birds. That's Dan's thing. I think we can all find things in each other's pots that either came from a teacher or predecessor or a just coincidence.

Mr. Young said...

I lik to think I learn from all of you blogging potters. And it probably shows...

Unknown said...

It is a very nice blog.

Pots Toowoomba