Sunday, April 15, 2012

One more dragon step ...




I'm making my own pots, honest. There will be plenty of my work in the kiln this week when I do my next glaze-firing. But the big deal here is Alex's dragon, progressing to the point that today she glazed it, cleaned off stray puddles of ash glaze, wadded it and then I set it gently down onto the first shelf of the gas kiln. She decided to go with true-to-life lizard green ash glaze on the sculpture, instead of Shino. And there will be copper red eyes and tongue, also. She left some parts of the brown stoneware body unglazed, to help add to look of the mottled scaly body.
She did a good job right along of attaching the ten cylinders that make up the sinuous body of this mythical beast. And no doubt overlapping the hundreds of scales makes a difference in holding it together, as well. In any case, only the right front leg detached in the bisque kiln and that will be separately fired and then re-attached once the animal's out of the fire later this week.
The photos give you an idea of how hard she concentrated on the fine detail.

5 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

Fantastic! And she's lucky to have you there. You know. Just in case. :)

Dennis Allen said...

Good luck to her.Anxious to see the final.

Tracey Broome said...

Drats, I was looking forward to a shino dragon! But I know the green ash will be nice too. I love my green ash plate from you.
When I was teaching kid's classes we just dipped broken off pieces in glaze and they fused together in the firing, seems kid's work always had parts coming off. She is so lucky that is all that detached, excellent construction on her part obviously!! Fingers crossed for a beautiful firing :)

gz said...

She is doing well!

Hollis Engley said...

She is indeed doing well. Now we'll see how the firing goes. And I'm with you, Tracey. I was looking forward to the carbon-trap shino. Looks like I may have to make a dragon of my own.