Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Moving right along ...



I'm working on pots for the next firing (and next year's warm-weather shows) this week. With luck, I'll fire again within two weeks.
The gallery gets virtually no visitors over the cold months, so it will get pretty crowded out there until the summer visitors come back. Over the past couple of days, I've thrown and finished a couple of big two-part jars, fairly roughly. Basically, each is made of an 11-inch-rim bowl, joined rim-to-rim and finished with a short neck, vestigial handles and a footring. There will be more of those, but I wanted to start with just two; it's been a while since I did that kind of thing.
Today I spent time throwing 11 13-inch-tall six-pound cylindrical bottle vases, which I'll square up with some gentle pounding and ribbing once they're leather hard. I'll attach a photo of those tall ones and maybe one of a similar finished one in brown stoneware.
All for now. Still cold out here on Cape Cod, with morning temperatures today around 15 F. Warmer weather coming later this week.

6 comments:

Dan Finnegan said...

...vestigial virgins?!
nice bottles, Hollis.

Hollis Engley said...

Well ... it's a little late to call them virgins. Thanks, Daniel. Trying some new stuff.

Marcus said...

Ooooh, those bottles are cool. I want to fill one with olive oil.

Hollis Engley said...

That can be arranged, Marco.

cindy shake said...

Love the shape of the brown vessel. I also like the placement of your chop. Do you always work in two different colors of clay? I'm trying to decide on a main clay body to use and am finding it easier clean-up and tool wise to just stick to one color. What's your thoughts?

Hollis Engley said...

Hi, Cindy. Thanks. That mark ends up all over the pot, but I think it works well there.
I use two kinds of clay - a Miller red clay called 750, and Miller B-Mix, which is a kind of porcelaneous stoneware. Both cone 10. Most of my glazes work differently on each and there are times when I want one effect or another from the glaze. I do minimal cleaning up when I switch between clays, mostly dumping the throwing water and cleaning up the tools. There's a bit of contamination, inevitably, but I'm easier with that kind of thing than a lot of potters. I try to keep things simple. It usually works.