Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Soup Bowls for Hunger here in April


Most of you are familiar with the Empty Bowls project, a North Carolina-based national movement to bring potters and cooks together to help feed the hungry. Empty Bowls helps folks organize fundraisers that usually bring in cash for local feeding programs. Early on in my potmaking life I donated bowls to a big Empty Bowls project in Northern Virginia.
Here on Cape Cod, our version of this movement is called Soup Bowls for Hunger. Every year about this time, the Cape Cod Potters (CCP) group begins to ratchet up the call for bowls from professional and amateur clay people, this year calling for 700 bowls for the April 14 dinner at Cape Cod Regional Technical High School in Harwich. (The stash of bowls has been primed by a couple of pots donated by Virginia's Dan Finnegan from his workshop in Chatham last year.)
So, that's part of what's been going on early this week in the studio. I usually give about 20 bowls to the dinner. The photo above shows many of them, some with swipes of white slip. Gail Turner, a fine potter in Brewster and co-president of the CCP, is an occasional reader of this blog and will be happy to see evidence of someone working for the Soup Bowls project. (Hi, Gail.)
Onward ...

9 comments:

Julia said...

We do empty bowls here in Utah, too, as part of Clay Arts Utah and in conjunction with the St. Vincent DuPaul soup kitchen. Your blog has reminded me that I'd better get started on my contributions!

Hollis Engley said...

No time like the present. It takes me months to decide to make the bowls, then about an hour to throw them.

Anna M. Branner said...

I just finished 100 for our Empty Bowl event here in Fredericksburg on Sunday!

Hollis Engley said...

Well, you got me beat, Anna. Good for you. Lovely yarn, too, by the way.

cookingwithgas said...

You guys are great- we donate to the food bank in Greensboro yearly and I only give two bowls- I am so shamed!
I might have to step it up!

cindy shake said...

Nice bowls Hollis. We have the Bean's Cafe Empty Bowl project here as well in Anchorage. I'll need to figure out how I can do some slab rolled bowls (or welded ones!)...

Dan Finnegan said...

Our Empty Bowls event is this Sunday and we hope to have 500 tickets sold before the evening is over. Anna's 100 bowls is sort of a rite of passage here, and it is awesome to seeI know that we've had some of your bowls here in the past.

Amy said...

Ours here in Charlotte is February 26. Hoping to see pics of these finished... nice forms!

Hollis Engley said...

I'll see if there are a couple of bowls I can send your way, Dan. I'd like to keep that connection going. Get cracking, Meredith. And get welding, Cindy. I'd love to see what your welded bowls look like.